Rebuilding a Penn longbeach 60

mako19cc

Cadet
I just picked up a penn longbeach 60 for a rebuild. I've never really rebuilt a reel before and don't really know where to start. Its in rough shape but that's the fun of it right? I would really like to make it a nice old reel. So my question is what needs to be replaced right away? Some help would be great thanks!!

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Rebuilding a Penn longbeach 60

Drag washers for sure. Does it have any pitting/corrosion?

mako19cc

Cadet

Drag washers for sure. Does it have any pitting/corrosion?
yes it has a decent amount of pitting/corrosion enough to want to get rid of it. I'm not really sure how i can clean that up.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's more important is where is the pitting and corrosion,is it on the handle crank or the cage bars or on the internal non brass components.The most important bits are the gears themselves,if they are badly worn they will need replacing.Not sure if that model had bearings or just bushes.Either way they should be OK if no rust in races.I used to have a 140 Squidder that had ball bearings and several other models that didn't and they are all pretty hard to wear out.The drag washers can be cleaned up if they are not torn up and usually are OK. If these reels are being used in salt water it pays to rinse them off under the faucet after every use.

mako19cc

Cadet

What's more important is where is the pitting and corrosion,is it on the handle crank or the cage bars or on the internal non brass components.The most important bits are the gears themselves,if they are badly worn they will need replacing.Not sure if that model had bearings or just bushes.Either way they should be OK if no rust in races.I used to have a 140 Squidder that had ball bearings and several other models that didn't and they are all pretty hard to wear out.The drag washers can be cleaned up if they are not torn up and usually are OK. If these reels are being used in salt water it pays to rinse them off under the faucet after every use.

I've been trying to upload a few pics its not working

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The Long Beach was discontinued in 1999 and it was a cheap, $50 reel back then.
I'll tell you what I tell my customers.....if the cosmetics are bad, it's not worth putting any money into it unless it has Collector or sentinel value.

If that doesn't detour you, buy the parts below and have a go at it.

(1) 9-60 SPACING SLEEVE
(1) 8-60 TENSION SPRING
(1)4-60 FIBER WASHER
(3) 6-60 FIBER WASHERS
(2) 86-60 KEYED ROUND METAL WASHER
(1) 7-60 EARED ROUND METAL WASHERS

To remove the green "corrosion", put the chrome parts in a small bowl and cover with white vinegar. To that, add a teaspoon of baking soda and let set. Keep and eye on it and check frequently. You can damage the chrome if left in the solution too long. An hour or so usually does the trick.

mako19cc

Cadet

The Long Beach was discontinued in 1999 and it was a cheap, $50 reel back then.
I'll tell you what I tell my customers.....if the cosmetics are bad, it's not worth putting any money into it unless it has Collector or sentinel value.

If that doesn't detour you, buy the parts below and have a go at it.

(1) 9-60 SPACING SLEEVE
(1) 8-60 TENSION SPRING
(1)4-60 FIBER WASHER
(3) 6-60 FIBER WASHERS
(2) 86-60 KEYED ROUND METAL WASHER
(1) 7-60 EARED ROUND METAL WASHERS

To remove the green "corrosion", put the chrome parts in a small bowl and cover with white vinegar. To that, add a teaspoon of baking soda and let set. Keep and eye on it and check frequently. You can damage the chrome if left in the solution too long. An hour or so usually does the trick.

Thanks for the info! The chorme is soaking as we speak! It's not in bad shape just needs a little clean up. Got it for $16 off eBay as a "loner" reel for friends and what not. Any tips for putting the parts in?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I use Purple Power degreaser as cleaner. 3 in1 Red for bearings and Super Lube Synthetic Grease on gears.

Drags are a personal preference. Personally, I like a greased drag. Others, not so much. I use Cal's Drag grease when appropriate