Chief Petty Officer
Re: identify these fish plz

Top is a "long skinny one"; Bottom is a "short fat one." :joyous:

Tom B.
(LongLine)

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

These are just guesses. from looking at pictures and plus I am a northern boy. big one looks like a pompano and long skinny one could be a tarpon. probably not even close but I had to try to identify them.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ladyfish and Jack crevalle?

Sarentack

Seaman

Ladyfish and Jack crevalle?

Bottom one I am certain is Jack Crevalle.

Top one is what we do call Lady Fish, not sure if their is another term for it or not. Lady Fish are great Shark Bait though.

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ladyfish is also called " Spanish hogfish "

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Lady Fish also called a poor man's tarpon. The other is a yellow tail jack or jack crevalle. Probably in the top 10 of the worst fish to eat.

barrynfla

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you're fishing for reds and happen to catch a ladyfish, cut it into chunks and just throw it out there. Reds love it. :joyous:

Just to clarify, put a hook in the chunks! lol

Sarentack

Seaman

hmm never heard that about Lady Fish catching Reds, word around the piers was they were good for catching Sharks though.

Is jack Crevalle that bad to eat? I never caught them, but their have been a few giant ones (30+ lb range) that have wondered near a pier I fish at and people have caught them, albeit not very often, never knew they were bad to eat.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some island people eat small jacks, but i dont think i have even known an american to eat a jack. They are not really considered edible. Ladyfish are good for catching a lot of things, they have a certain oily smell that seems to attract just about any larger predator fish.

IraRat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey, people in Everglades City, and EUROPE, are eating MULLET these days.

kahuna123

There is lots of different type of mullet. Its not so much a breed its where they live. I've ate mullet all my life. The best way is to clean them why they are still flapping. Keeps all the acid out of the meat. Once they die the bad stuff drains into the meat and makes its very fishy. That's why most of it is smoked.

natureschild88

Seaman Apprentice

There is lots of different type of mullet. Its not so much a breed its where they live. I've ate mullet all my life. The best way is to clean them why they are still flapping. Keeps all the acid out of the meat. Once they die the bad stuff drains into the meat and makes its very fishy. That's why most of it is smoked.

Agreed. Same goes for any other "gamey" fish or larger, predatory fish. Especially sharks!

Another thing that works well is to marinate the fish in milk for 2-3 hours prior to cooking it. We do this with sharks and other larger but less desirable fish all the time, it works great. Clean your fish and cut into 1-2" steaks. Put the steaks into a one gallon ziplock freezer bag (a real ziplock that won't leak!) Top off the ziplock bag with 2% milk, insuring that all of the steaks are saturated in the milk. Put it in the fridge for 2-3 hours. Then dump out the milk and marinate/season the fish how ever you want, then cook. This will take the gamey taste/texture away from what some would call "undesirable" fish. I do this with all of the sharks I catch and I've heard it works with mackerel and just about anything else the same way. This method works great!

kahuna123

Fish are different. Two choices with grouper. Gut it when you catch it or let it die on the ice. If you ever clean one alive you have ruined it. The blood is still in the meat it looks pink and taste now where near as good. Never cared for shark even blead out. Spinner and blacktip is ok i guess. My kids favorite is still a key west grunt over fresh grouper or hogfish. Grunts and grits. Can't say that I blame them. Just a pain to clean that many small fish to get a meal. Cobia are ok. I just am not a strong fish favorite. My grandfather could eat bluegill or mullet roe all day. Sea trout are pretty good on the grill. We used to sit on the dock and watch football catch a speck and clean it go in the house and fry it with butter and a little mayo. Tartar and a pickle on toast. Man that was good.
There are lots of fish I am sure are really good. Cut a snake fish up for bait and look how clean and white the meat is???

I guess everywhere is different. Yes the the milk thing works very well. We normally take that "strong" tasting fish smoke it and make fish dip.

Recipes to consider Favorite Recipes - Spearfishing Planet

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Pompano and Jacks look very similar . I thought we were catching Pompano the other day but I guess they were Jacks . The fins were yellow . :fish2::noidea: