Is anyone familiar with downriggers

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer
I have a older model penn 600 downrigger and I just need help with the line counter attach to the rig. How does it work. I been messing around with the line counter and can't seem to get it working? Can some one give me some pointers?

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is anyone familiar with downriggers

I use Scottys so bear with me (and I'm old) :)
The older Penns used a multi-gear drive system with the line counter. If memory serves, all the gears are plastic so if any of the teeth are damaged or missing, you've found your problem. It was a way more accurate system than the Scottys I use but the line counter is so simple on mine, a caveman could fix it.

Gradywhite3535

Chief Petty Officer

Ok so whenever you pull line out the counter should work automatically?

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't know about the Penns as I use Cannons, but with mine you must make sure the gear teeth on the line counter body line up with the gear on the crank handle - mine are manuals.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok so whenever you pull line out the counter should work automatically?
Thats the way every one I've used works but my experience is limited to Scotty and Cannon (both electric and manual). If the line counter doesn't work when you pull line out, it's pretty much worthless? Isn't that the point of the line counter? To let you know how deep you are fishing? Check your gears are all engaged and not missing teeth. And a pic is always appreciated!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If the line counter doesn't work when you pull line out, it's pretty much worthless? Isn't that the point of the line counter? To let you know how deep you are fishing?

A line counter is a guess-ti-mate at best. Using sonar is more accurate.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

When my Scottys had the line they shipped with, they was right on by sonar. Now that I've re-spooled with 2x the amount each shipped with, they're off (diameter changed so inches of line/revolution changed), so I agree that the sonar is more accurate..... sort of. They were spot on with the stock spool.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

When my Scottys had the line they shipped with, they was right on by sonar. Now that I've re-spooled with 2x the amount each shipped with, they're off (diameter changed so inches of line/revolution changed), so I agree that the sonar is more accurate..... sort of. They were spot on with the stock spool.
The weight of the ball, your speed, the lure your pulling and the amount of line out determine how much "blow back" your getting. A line counter will tell you how much line is off the spool. Don't know about you, but I could careless how much line is off the spool, I want to know where the baits are running.

carribbean soul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i just count out revolutions of the spool for an approximate depth. you could always mark the cable with paint in 5' increments.

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With my Cannons, I have them all spooled with at least 250' of stainless cable. I have each of them marked for how much is actually run off the spool when it reads 100' and that is anywhere from an actual 100' to only 97'. That gives me a great indication of where they will be running in relation to each other when all four are deployed. What tells me exactly where they are is seeing the balls on the sonar screen - then I know what each one is doing and which lures are attracting attention.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The line counter on those is different than on other brands, but it is gear driven. Just pull it appart and see what's not working, takes about 2 minutes.

Can you spin the knob? The knob with numbers on it should spin by hand easily. Is yours the old style with the numbers on a sticker, or are they printed on the knob?

On the crank handle side there a large nut with a screw in the center. Take the screw out and then the nut off, the spool will slide off and all of the guts will be exposed.