Need help Salmon fishing-saltwater

dabestrn

Recruit
Hello,
Just bought a used fishing boat and want to try saltwater fishing for salmon but honestly clueless!!
I've done lots of research and videos, but not the same as having some hands on help from someone who is experienced.
I'm happy to take someone out on my boat if they have some experience in this. Or willing to go out with someone, either way is good, as long as I can get some help. If I go out on your boat I'd definitely be happy to through in money for gas and whatever.
I know I can take a charter and learn, but I have my own boat and don't want to spend hundreds of dollars if I don't have to.
Anyone out there that can help????
Thanks
Steven

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Need help Salmon fishing-saltwater

I'd help but there aren't many many salmon here in socal. So where are you?

dabestrn

Recruit

Oh, sorry. Shoulda mentioned that. I'm in British Columbia, Canada.

hamishmcduff

Cadet

A set of downriggers will be needed, with lead downrigger weights (about 8-10lbs each)
A variety of flashers will be needed aswell.
Hoochies work well for Chinook, as do herring on a herring rig.

Place a swivel snap or clip at the end of your line, attach the flasher(small/narrow end).

At the opposite end of the flasher attach your hoochie rig or herring rig( a piece of herring bait will be attached to the herring rig)

Place the rig in the water if using the herring setup, and observe it's action.
If it rolls all is well, the amount of roll or speed is open for experimentation.

Let out about 30-40ft of line while at trolling speed on boat.
Trolling speed is open for experimentation.

attach the downrigger clip to the line at the 30 or 40 ft mark.
decend the downrigger weight to a starting depth of 30ft while letting out your line on the fishing rod spool aswell.
lock the downrigger, reel in your line one or two rotations and place rod into the rod holder.

The length of line originally let out before attaching the downrigger clip is open to experimentation as is the depth at which you will be decending the weight itself.

That should get you started.

Gary LaRue

Recruit

hamishmcduff, nicely done...I used to use a 42" leader between end of flasher and hootchie or bait. As you pointed out, you want to get a nice slow roll on the herring rig. Adjust leader length until you get the right roll at the trolling speed you want...typically slow for king salmon. Also, try various sizes of herring as bait fish in your area may be of certain size and vary as to time of season. Where I'm at in Alaska we often use the smallest package/frozen herring we can find. Fresh herring for bait is even better but hard to get...if you use it you'll likely want to salt it down in a dish pan to toughen them up. Tight lines

Krill OG

Recruit

Hey, I've been salmon fishing in Vancouver for a while now and just prepping my new boat for the upcoming season. If you are interested in coming out when I'm ready to go let me know and I'll keep you posted, hooked into some monster salmon last year and would love to help anyone looking to get into it.image.jpg

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

If you dont have a fishing/depth finder dont bother with a downrigger, assuming you have both,, pay attention to potential changing depths.. ie if you set your ball depth at 60ft and you run over a shelf,, your entire rig could end up hung up on a log and yanked off the back of your boat into the drink...