Tuna chumming

bost0nwh@ler

Cadet
I live in Fort Lauderdale on the water and I fish for dolphin a lot, but I wanted to expand to catching tuna. I have heard about trolling and chumming. I have a 150 sport whaler and wanted to know what was the best way to catch tuna in this boat. (easiest way) Give me all the details and opinions please! Thanks

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tuna chumming

You might want to try a variety of things. Get some ballyhoo and rig them naked along with skirts. Also pull a plug in the spread. Tuna love them when they are hungry. I have seen alot of guys down your way chum for them and catch them on spinning reels. I have not had this luxury myself, but pay attention to the birds for sure. We, in the Carolinas, have a good tuna bite in the Spring when the fish are moving. You may want to research your area and the best times for them. Good luck and hold on!!!

bost0nwh@ler

Cadet

Ok what kind of plug? the only reason i think chumming would be better is because u dont scare3 them away because the motor is off. Thanks for the advice!

sasto

Captain

Big tuna in these parts are in about 300 to 400 feet of water. Having a big boat with radar looking for birds feeding is the only way to go.

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A cedar plug. They don't look like much, but it is a good weapon to have in the box.

You could troll until you find the birds and them pitch some live pilchards to them. Good luck!!! What tuna are you targeting? Just curious.

lyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you are looking for tuna I would suggest a much larger boat ... you are trying to catch offshore types in a bay boat ...(that goes for the Gulf ... not sure how far out you would need to go from Ft Lauderdale)