PENN 209MLH Level Wind Reel and Penn Overseas Rod

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a new reel, I have not ever used one of these kinds before and its left handed. I am right handed. Are they all coming in left hand nowadays? Its stainless steel and very nice. I dont know how to run the line on it tho:(. Is this a good reel and will it help me catch a fish? The rod is PENN Overseas are they good equipment for a beginner? The guy also gave me a lovely hard round carrying case free cuz he liked my eyes:eek::D. Is there some video on youtube you all can point me to to teach me how to put the line on this reel please?:(

Sorry to be a PITA:cool: but I need help:redface:

sasto

Captain
Re: PENN 209MLH Level Wind Reel and Penn Overseas Rod

Actually that reel was designed years ago, I mean years, and one of the few left handed reels of this type on the market. Yes, they are good. When spooling up a level wind it is recommended the line come off the side of the spool and not the end. Basically off the spool and on the reel in the same manner, spool off the line....and spool onto the reel.

Good Luck!

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually that reel was designed years ago, I mean years, and one of the few left handed reels of this type on the market. Yes, they are good. When spooling up a level wind it is recommended the line come off the side of the spool and not the end. Basically off the spool and on the reel in the same manner, spool off the line....and spool onto the reel.

Good Luck!

So I got conned then? I bought it at the boat show here. I paid 100 for rod and reel combined and a spool of 26lb line and well the case, that equates to 135.00 US dollars. I would hate to think I got conned. I dont know what you mean by the line should come off the side of the spool. Do you mean I take the spool and only thread the reel from one side of the spool of line? Do I need to tie the line to the reel to begin with?

sasto

Captain

Hi Zodiac, check out this video I found for you. No worries about the left hand reel, you will get used to it. I fish both ways with no problem. All my spinning tackle is left hand. My level winds are almost all right hand but have a few left hand which I've adapted to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAL6kz2kEHg

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Zodiac, check out this video I found for you. No worries about the left hand reel, you will get used to it. I fish both ways with no problem. All my spinning tackle is left hand. My level winds are almost all right hand but have a few left hand which I've adapted to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAL6kz2kEHg

Sasto, that was fabulous, what a very valuable piece of video you found for me. I am so bad with searching the www. Thanks a bunch. it looks complicated but I guess I will give it a go. I have 26lb pound line is that too heavy?

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use 20lb, zodiac, I would think your 26 would be fine too.

What are you fishing for?

Anything, I dont know what you can find in the North Atlantic off of the French coast, but I suppse some kind of fish as long as its not a shark or some other dangerous thing that will pull me overboard. I guess the next will be HOW do I rig the line. I know I do not do it right cuz my hooks usually slip off

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Doesn't the "LH" in "200MLH" indicate "left-handed"?

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

Yes it does. Im right handed, but all my reels are left handed. I like to cast, and fight the fish with my strong arm. It feels more natural to me, and makes more since to me as well. I shoot left handed also - same thing. I can hold a rifle more steady with my strong arm. I would suggest that you try both to see which is more comfortable to you, because you will probable get hooked, and buy more outfits in the future - maybe many more. That is a solid outfit.

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it does. Im right handed, but all my reels are left handed. I like to cast, and fight the fish with my strong arm. It feels more natural to me, and makes more since to me as well. I shoot left handed also - same thing. I can hold a rifle more steady with my strong arm. I would suggest that you try both to see which is more comfortable to you, because you will probable get hooked, and buy more outfits in the future - maybe many more. That is a solid outfit.

I have fished left handed with a spinner reel before and it was ok but that was lake fishing. This seems much heavier a rod and reel combined. I just hope I dont get fluttered and lose a fish because of not knowing how to perate this thing properly if I do hook something. I used to fish salt water when i was much younger but that was not even with a rod and reel but bare line thrown directly into the sea and I used to catch all kinds of things in the Caribbean. This area up by France seems to be not as plentiful as in the Gulf or in the Caribbean sea.

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Doesn't the "LH" in "200MLH" indicate "left-handed"?

Ya know, woman walks up to a man at a boat fair selling fishing aparatus, woman asks man I want a good but inexpensive reel and rod to catch a BIG fish:D, the man laughs and says wont you want to try for a small fish first:eek:? I say NO I want a big fish:rolleyes:. I have no clue what rod or reel to buy, I tell him to decide for me, he gives me Penn reel and rod and I get a fair price and walk away smiling:D, not even noticing it was left handed lol. Husband was unable to help me cuz he never fished or held a rod in his life. So that is how I ended up with the LH reel:rolleyes: so that is my story in a nutshell:facepalm: