Best way to cook Halibut?

Huron Angler

Admiral
My neighbor was nice enough to give me some Halibut that he caught in Alaska. Just curious if folks have any advice on the best way to prepare it?

Thanks for any tips:)

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Best way to cook Halibut?

Flour, salt and pepper in a bag. shake and bake the fillets. OR, shake and fry, quickly.

Dice 2 onions rather fine, saute in a pan well with some EVOO.
When cooked, add a stick of butter to the pan.
When melted add to a mixing bowl containing maybe 2- "crushed fine" tubes of Ritz crackers (either using a food processer or rolling pin while in a ziplock.(amounts above can be altered depending on amount of fish cooking).

Place filets in a baking dish like pyrex, cover with the mix from the bowl, bake in the oven 400'F for 15min. ;)

The firm white meat of Halibut steaks and the mild flavor makes this a great fish for any recipe calling for whitefish. The main thing to remember when cooking Halibut is that it will dry out on you fast, because it contains very little oil.

So if you are baking, broiling or grilling it, make sure you have marinated it or brushed it with olive oil or butter to help retain the moisture.

If you are using a marinade choose one that will not over power the delicate flavor of Halibut. Marinades with strong acidic will breakdown the meat, making it become soft or mushy. Before you start to cook your Halibut make sure to wash it thoroughly under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.

One of the handiest kitchen tools you can have is a cooking thermometer , this takes all the guess work out of cooking halibut. You want the fish to have a temperature of 145 degrees.

Let us know how you do with it. :rolleyes:

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Poached on my stove.

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you like a battered receipe this one makes for darn good eating:

1/2 cup flour

7 TBLS cornstarch

1 1/4 tsp. baking powder

3/4 tsp. sugar

1 TBLS Lawry's season salt

1/4 rounded tsp. garlic powder

6 oz beer (I prefer a dark beer myself)

whisk all ingredients together. dip chunks of fish into batter.

It also helps to put ice cubes in the batter. It makes the batter cold and makes it stick to the fish when you put it into the heated oil.

Double the amounts for a lot of fish. I like a little Red Devil or Texas Pete on the side.

dlindeblad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh this is an easy one.

We lived in Alaska for 10 years and caught/ate many a halibut. This was my favorite way to cook and eat it:

1. Get a box/bag of krusteaz buttermilk pancake mix.
2. Get a couple bottles of beer. Lite beer for cleaner taste, Belgian beer for stronger flavor.
3. Take the beer and pour it into some pancake flour and stir. You want the batter to be thick enough to stick to the fish.
4. Begin to heat up some cooking oil.
5. Wash the skinned fish and pat dry. Cut it up into managable cubes.
6. Go back to batter. The batter probably thickened in the time you heated the oil and washed the fish so add more beer.
7. Drop the fish in the mix and pull it out shaking off some excess. Drop it into the hot oil. Too hot of oil and the batter will blow off the fish, too cold of oil temp and it will drip off the fish.

It takes 1 or 2 times of doing it to perfect, but after you get the knack anyone you invite over will love the taste.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Depends on how fresh it is.

If it's fresh, stuff it with crab imperial, a light seasoning outside, and a quick broil in the oven is hard to beat.

If it's old, been frozen, or you just don't like fish, you cant get enough "batter on them.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Poached on my stove.

We ended up poaching it in the oven last night in a covered steamer pan with a internal rack. It turned out great and I thoroughly enjoyed the fish.

It is very similar like whitefish, only a bit firmer in my opinion.

A little lemon pepper on it was perfect and I couldn't even tell it had been frozen to be honest. Great fish for the table:D

Too bad I don't stand much chance of catching any here in Michigan.:p

Thanks for all the info:)

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Panfry in a little butter, some olive oil and a dash of wortchestershire sauce, sprinkle with lemon pepper,brown both sides and finish with a little fresh crushed garlic, super yummy:)