new guy/ salmon/ downriggers/ pole length/ line weight

the man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
New guy here; at least to fishing for salmon with downriggers (Puget sound and area 7). I have been boating 45 years, and caught a million salmon commercial fishing with a net- but new to this.

I have 2 electric cannon downriggers and am trying to get set up for my first day. I bought some $40 poles with advice from the guy at the counter- I just wanted to start with something and figure it out as I go. I got an 8' pole that says line range 12-20 and an 8'6" pole that says line range 8-17. I have two reels: a Shimano TLD15 that has 20lb on it and a Tekota 500 that has 25lb on it.

I know I am going to learn once I get out there, but to start:
-why the lesser weight range on the longer pole?
-what difference will there be in these two pole lengths, if any
-which reel should I put on which pole to start
-if I was only going to use one pole and one reel, which combo would it be?, and why?

thanks

sasto

Captain
Re: new guy/ salmon/ downriggers/ pole length/ line weight

If they were mine I would use 15# on both reels with 30# florocarbon from dodger or swivel to spoon. Kept the speed around 2 kts and hope for a 40#er.

dexterd

Cadet

don't know what kind of salmon you are after but around here we use 30lb line with 40lb leader and a rod rated for 30lb. if your rod is rated 20lb i would not use bigger than that or your rod will break before your line. the rods are possiably just diffrent action (length doesn't affect weight rating). If you are just fishing small salmon you will be fine. chinooks around here get well above 50 lbs. as for the reel use the one your most comfortable with.

JRJ

Commander

I use 6' 6" Med/Hvy rods for trolling salmon with 20# line on the reel, have a big net and a ball bat to knock them out. Have fun.

JRJ

Commander

PS
I like that Tekota 500, nice reel :cool:

the man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. Going out this next week and two weeks in August. The learning curve will be steep but fun!

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

I use 30-50lb on the main line, mono 30lb or braided 50 or 65, because I use these same poles for halibut.
I always tie my hooks with 40lb, I lost too many with 25lb line on my hooks.
Your poles are ok, set the drag appropriately and go for it.
Couple of tips, coho run a 30-36" leader with your flasher set the downrigger at 20-30', 25 is my favorit, chinooks alittle longer leader and deeper.

Try a herring buckfly from cabelas, you won't regret it. I have found fixed hooks seem to catch more fish than a slidder and fixed. Bait the one hook with a small piece of herring salted for toughness.
I had a couple of days where the salmon would not let the bait get to 25' on the downrigger. One time we had 4 poles with 4 fish. We stopped using 4 poles and went with 3 because it was too much.
Another think keep the boat in gear when a fish is on unless it is a big one. This will prevent you from loosing fish by always keeping tension on the hook, also helps to keep the other fish out of the other lines.

I caught 300ish coho last year off the coast of oregon. Filled 4 tags, plus a couple on the hatchery tag. Tagged about 86 finclip coho, turned loose losts of natives. I think almost everyday we where in before noon. Good luck and have fun. Not much of a salmon season this year in Oregon, my boat is broke down at this time, but during 4th of july the salmon had not shown up. Last year fishing was hot.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

With a downrigger a longer softer rod is desired, many people use a 10'6" slow action model. No need for a high cost model and the longer rod isn't required, it just works a little better.

The Tekota is a very good choice, 20 to 30lb mono or 50 lb braid will work, mono is a little easier to use, but some people like braid. Mono will stay in most DR clips very well, braid can be more difficult to keep in the clip, at least most pinch type clips.

Right now the fishing is very good, but not in the south sound, you need to be in area 9 for the best results. A flasher with an Ace Hi Fly is the setup of choice at the moment.

I had fresh Chinook and crab on the Barbie this evening.

answers

1. Just the design, rating has little to with length, although the longer rods typically have lower ratings, this has more to with how they are used though.

2. If the rod is designed for use on a DR, then the longer one is better. When the rod is in use on the DR you want to load the rod as much as possible (bent over under tension), this will help keep the line tight when the fish pops the line out of the clip.

3 and 4. No way to tell without knowing the exact model of rods you have, but the Tekota is a better reel.

If the 8' rod is new, then try to exchange it for a longer one.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

Rod length is personal choice. I use 7.5-8.5 foot rods and they work fine. Store easier.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I use a 10ft shakespear rod line rated for 15-40#, It is paired with a PENN GX 6000. Works great for me!