Tackle Box Recommendation

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer
I?ve been through numerous Plano tackle boxes over the years and they?ve worked well. Eventually, however, something on the tray assembly breaks and I go looking for another one. Plano seems to be a fair product for the money, but I wouldn't mind spending a few more bucks for a more rugged and higher quality tackle box. I like a single top opening with a 3-tray fold out. Anyone have any good suggestions?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tackle Box Recommendation

I gave up on tackle boxes long ago. Went to a Plano Guide series Tackle bag with storage for 6-utility boxes. Went from 3 tackle boxes to a single bag when I made the transition.

Everything is nicely organized and if I drop the bag, I'm not spending the next two hours reorganizing. The shoulder strap comes in convenient when trying to carry a bunch a stuff all at once.

pole position

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also went with a bag a few years back for the same reasons. I do keep tackle in boxes that I can switch out to bag for different fishing so I don't have to carry unneeded weight around.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

If you want to upgrade,you should look into a Kennedy tackle box.They are very pricey.

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

Another vote for a bag approach.
I use a tall cooler bag filled with 12" sections of central vac tube to organize my musky tackle.
For everything else I use a tackle bag and an assortment of standard size trays. A tray for every occasion. I can switch from trout to walleye to bass ect by just swapping out a tray or two. I have six trays but most of the time I only carry two or three. Even dollar store trays can be used.
It's a very durable and serviceable solution.

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

I also had many different types of tackle boxes over the years, seems I never had enough room or versatility with any type I had.

I ended up buying a stack of cheap tackle boxes from Walmart that are the same size as the Plano 3700, they were so cheap I bought 6 for $20.

Next I hit the Army Navy Surplus and picked up a soft side canvas backpack for $30 that fits all 6 inside, its very heavy duty. It has pockets for plastic bait and a top flip pouch for line and spools etc. The side pockets hold bug spray and other things I always seem to forget. It has pull straps to cinch everything down tight.

Wish I had done this years ago, now when I go fishing I grab that bag and my rod, everything else is inside. My cheapo boxes don't seem to get broken with the heavy canvas and hauling it out of the boat when we camp is easy on the back and easy to store.

Total cost of $50 and the stealth of it means it isn't likely to get stolen if I leave it unattended. I nearly choked when I seen the cost of the "Pro" series bags that perform the same function at The Fishin Hole!:eek:

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had one of the newer Shimano bags with the boxes that slid out and you could open them without taking them all they way out of the bag. Left on boat in Bahamas, Boat is still there! Dont like the style where the boxes go in vertical. Going to put something different together this year for fishing a 17' McKee Craft. No tackle storage built in to boat.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've used everything, now I just use tupperware in a backpack on the boat. I have several backpacks set up for different types of fishing, inshore/offshore/wreck fishing. It seems to work well enough for now.

fishrdan

Admiral

I'm different... I like a hard sided tackle box. I tried the soft sided bags, but it seemed to be a pain to me, others seem to like them though. I have a couple big 4 tray Plano's tackle boxes, several clear double sided Plano's filled with big striper lures, a converted reel/pistol case for hanging big soft baits. My soft sided tackle boxes have been stuffed with other things, electrical, lure building supplies.

I broke a latch (my fault) on my old faithful tackle box and Plano sent me, not 1, but 2 latches to repair the old tackle box,,, for FREE.

If I'm going out on a sportfishing boat I do like an Okuma backpack/tackle bag I was given on 1 trip. Enough space to store a couple boxes of tackle and plenty of space for some clothing and food.