How do you know how fast to go when trolling?

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: How do you know how fast to go when trolling?

Trolling speed to me is no set speed. First just put you lure in the water and watch it action.
Adjust your speed for the best action on the lure and then check what speed your doing.
In general it is 2 to 3.5 mph. Now the you need to get your lure to the bottom by adding weight and adjusting your amount of line out and then if you must adjust speed.

Also trolling against the tide to make and movement may have to troll faster or move to slower water. Trolling against the tide I slow as much as possible and still have good lure action.
In the cold water of the winters you need to slow down. In summer speed up some.
I have not trolled the napa river area but have caught a lot of stripers near the mouth but mostly on bait.
Your boat may be a little small but San Pablo bay in the buoy 5 area and sturgeon triangle are usually good striper fishing near xmass an New Years.
Bull heads about the best for anchor boats. Mudsuckers and shrimp good for drifting on slow tides.
Over near the Borthers there is an area where often find bait fish near the surface.
If your see birds diving move over quickly and cast a lure with no weight or very little weight and catch the spripers right near the surface. Really fun and a good fight without any weight.

A good rig for trolling the area is a heavy hair raiser in yellow or red on the bottom then about 2 feet above that a 3 way swivel and a short line to a Rebel. Troll slow enough that the hair raiser hit bottom often. This is good for both Stripers and Halibut.

Call Loch Lomond bait and talk to Keith Fraser. He will give you some good tips but like all bait shops they will tell you about the good spots near their bait shop.

Also ask Keith when we will be giving his Sturgeon and striper semiars. Frist time can help you alot and he will share spots and even put them on your chart after the show.

Also at the San Mateo boat show Abe and Analgo cunaig will give semiars but they fished more in San Pablo and San Francisco bay.

I used to fish the San Pablo Bay area with a 14 foot Klamth Aluminum boat but now have a bigger boat. Between storm it can be very nice but if the wind starts to pick up do not stay too Long as it can get danergous for a small boat.

Some late but good infomation in link below also.

http://fishsniffer.com/reports/norcalsalt.html#Rich

Last go to Water4 Fish.org and sign the pettion to save the Delta.
As you know the Salmon Fishing has been closed for 2 Years and likely again next year for all of California. Striper fishing and Sturgeon also declining. Sturgeon is now down to 3 fish per year max.
Send all your Elected rep a message that you expect them to force the state of California to let enough water flow thru the delta to the ocean for fish to live and make it by the water and fish sucking pumps.

http://www.water4fish.org/

Wheelhouse

Cadet

I have bait fished the Napa River many times. We have caught many nice stripers and some keeper Sturgeon. My friend likes to troll in the Napa River his favorite lure is the Cordell Spots Lure with which he has had great success. He says that it should be fished close to the boat. Most of my striper fishing has been on the anchor but I have also nailed some while trolling. My method is if I am using a deep running lure I go about 1.7 mph(gps) a shallow lure I troll about 3.5 mph. I almost always troll with 100 ft.+ of line out, unless the water is shallow.Vary your speeds and troll in a random pattern. When you get some strikes you will know that you are doing it right. Good Luck in the Napa.

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ngt,
You haven't posted here in a while, are you getting on those stripers?

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

ngt,
You haven't posted here in a while, are you getting on those stripers?

Sorry, I haven't been able to go out besides some crab in Bodega for a writing project in my class and a bit of shore fishing in Tiburon. I started back to work this week, and it's supposed to rain this Saturday. I'm going to swing by the pro shop and try and grab some of the lures that people have been talking about in here. Hopefully it will clear up Sunday and I can get that boat out there and give this a shot.

I might give it a go at the end of the Petaluma River. I heard there was a slough near Black Point that had a nice 30+ hole near the entrance. Maybe troll back to that, anchor down, and then troll back.

Any good spots in the Napa River? I have snagged sturgeon under the 29 bridge, a bit past marker 7, and heard there have been a lot down in the south slough.

Also, if anyone in the area wants to go out and show a new guy the ropes, I'd cover all costs :) (bait, lunch, whatever)

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Greetings,

All i really do is troll for striped bass. All i really use are tube and sand worms trolling. You are going to want to go as slow as possible if you are trolling tubes. I personally think trolling tube and sand worm is the most productive striper fishing.

Try to find toobs that have some play in them. I like to make them out of surgical tubing. Alot of the tubes you buy at stores are stiff as a board and dont work as well. Also i find using a non weighted tube works best. 200 stripers on tubes last year.

Chad