Bradenton/Sarasota/st.pete,fl area fishing tips?

rsw21282

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have lived in bradenton for about 6 months and just bought a boat(1981 cajun brute 85hp force)and have been fixing it up anyway should be done this weekend and am wanting to go fishing. Anyone have and gps cord. or advice on where to go am out for anything, reds,grouper,SHARK,mackeral, etc....im from illinois so not to sure on what is good bait for these fish either have got some tips from bait shops use a lot of frozen heiring and shrimp got lucky and cought one shark but just a bonnet head so threw it back. anyway anyone have any good advice for me? (dont wanna go out more than 5-6mi or so(1988 motor and only 17'6" boat)anyone wanna go ill go out farther as long as another boat

mandopickr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bradenton/Sarasota/st.pete,fl area fishing tips?

If I were you I'd hire a local captain to go out in your boat for 1/2 day trip, and your investment would pay off for the rest of your fishing life. Little things, such as anchoring, understanding tides, etc, can make a big difference in your trips.

I'd also be reluctant to go out 5-6 miles in a single engine, 17'6" boat. Its not a problem in great weather, and when the boat is running well, but any boat issue, or weather issue, and you'd be in big trouble.

I'm envious. You're living in one of the best places in the country for fishing. Best of luck.

GreggS

Cadet

Conact Captain Hawkins.
He heads out of St. Pete. He runs a flats skiff and know every bit of the Bay area there.
Spend a day with him and you'll learn what to look for as far as structure and bait.
GPS coordinates are worth much since fish move and those coordinates will be useless the next day.
Pay attention to the Captain and ask lots of questions.
He'll give you the information you need to catch fish on your own boat.

Gregg

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

You need to learn how to throw a cast net. There is so much bait available to you in that area it is scary. ANY of the grass flats in Sarasota bay (near Ringling museum) is loaded with trout, reds, sheepheads, cobia and they all love "greenbacks". That is a generic term for the smallish 3-5" silver sided baits that run is large schools just off the beaches and over the flats. You can use jack mackeral and chum them up, but usually not needed. You will need a good baitwell, they need continuous circulating water. However a bunch of them, some 6-8# very light tackle, maybe freelining them and you will have a ton of fun. Good luck, and hope to hear badck on your success!! :)

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

RSW......

Hi........

Wife and I bought a home in Bradenton last March......
I will be retiring in just a little under a year from now, when we will be moving there full time.

When I get there full time, I definately going to be buying a boat, sooooo, hopefully, you'll know it all by then and I can use you for info....lol.

Were down in Bradenton for two weeks in December (before Christmas).....two weeks in January.....and we are heading down for two weeks in February (we arrive next Tuesday afternoon - February 24th and will be starying til March 10th.....)

Looking to learn all about boating and fishing around the area......maybe we can hook up at some point....

Anyway.....good luck fishing!!

Rick

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Meant to put it in the last post........

my personal email is: rgv55@yahoo.com

Rick

rsw21282

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey rick you will like this area, i just moved here in oct. and love it, although i bought a boat in begining of dec and havent done any fishing since just been fixing it up but the light at the end of the tunnel is really close just working out a few last min bugs, motor doesnt want to go past 1/4 throttle so hopefully ill be on the water this weekend

rsw21282@yahoo.com

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hiring a guide as mentioned will save big on the learning curve, many will do half day deals so the primary focus is on learning not just fishing. The cast net idea is also a good one, live bait fishing is everything, kids learn to throw nets by the time they're 6 here, ask the guide what size you need and he'll prolly even teach you, it's not hard.

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Capt. Sam......

How stable is a "flats" boat?
And, how many fisherman is confortable (say 23 footer or so)?
Are they flat bottomed?
Would seem like they may be a bit unsteady in rougher water?

Thanks,

Rick