Bimini Twist knot.

GatorzBack2Back

Seaman Apprentice
So, when I went fishing with a guide down in Marco Island (big props to Capt. Carlos Escarra) he used a Bimini Twist knot to tie on. It looked hard as heck to tie, but I like how it could slide through the eyes with no problems.

Anyone know a site with illustrations, or a video tutorial showing how to tie this knot?

Thanks in advance.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bimini Twist knot.

What was he using a bimini for?

GatorzBack2Back

Seaman Apprentice

Tying on the hooks. We were going for Snook, Reds, Tarpon, Mackerel, Snapper, Trout, Blues....etc....

He said it made for a good double leader while keeping 100% of the line strength.

Sound about right?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Basically yes..But IMHO overkill for the type of fishing you were doing over there off Marco..

It is the only knot I know of that has 100% line strength. The most common use (that I am aware of) is chasing big marlin and tuna above 75 lbs..

maybe I'm just upset that I never got the hang of tying that s.o.b right! ;)

GatorzBack2Back

Seaman Apprentice

Well, no need to be upset. That video is pretty good. I actually tied my first one right after watching it, and by the third one, I got it just right, and pretty quick too. It seems intimidating, but it's actually fairly easy to do.

Now I just need to decide how I want to attach the Bimini Twist to the hook. Should I tie it with the hook already in the loop? Or should I use a Palomar knot? Maybe just a simple clinch?

Any ideas? How do you guys tie on for reds, snook, flounder, and tarpon? (simply bay and flats fishing) Do you use a swivel and clasp? Do you tie straight to the hook? Mono leader?

I have to ask because I just moved back to the coast, and I haven't salt water fished on a steady basis in 15 years, and there seems to be a LOT of advancements since then. Back then it was no-name knots tying on swivels, flouro 40lb leader, clasp, then hook. Now-a-days, it's braided line tied right to mono, right to flouro, with 80 different knots, then 50 different hooks.

So, anyone want to share trade secrets?

fishrdan

Admiral

I'd tie the hook on with a palomar as you have double lines through the hook it's my go-to knot. Only time I would want a single loose line going the hook is for live bait applications where you want the bait swimming as free as possible.

Line setup is going to vary by region and style of fishing. While trolling I like to run a spectra main line with a mono leader. Casting either a mono or spectra line, mono is weaker but backlashes less, spectra stronger but backlashes more,,, my experience. Live bait fishing on sport fishing boats, spectra and a short fluoro leader.

But,,, talk to 10 different people and you will probably get 10 different answers...

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Palomar knot is my go-to knot for all my terminal tackle. I have never had a failure with the palomar. The bimini is normally used for attaching leader to the running line. I can't tie it right, so I use a double surgeons knot instead and have never had any issues with anything inshore or nearshore.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Used to use a bimini for the leader to running line knot. I have since changed over and now use the Slim beauty for the connection.

For terminial tackle I use a palomar or an Improved Clinch knot.

GatorzBack2Back

Seaman Apprentice

Let's say I am freelining or shrimp for reds or snook. I used 30lb braided as my main line. I like the Bimini Twist with a Palomar to a wire leader, but I am always willing to try something new. So maybe now I should try:

--braided to flouro in a Slim Beauty knot?
--braided Bimini Twist to a Palomar on the hook?
--braided to flouro leader with an Albright, then a Rapala knot?

What do you guys use for in-shore bay and creek fishing? And what Lb flouro should I use for leaders? I don't want to go too heavy and be stiff, nor do I want to go too light and lose a fish by brushing an oyster.

Hints? Tips?

And as always, thanks in advance.

GatorzBack2Back

Seaman Apprentice

For terminial tackle I use a palomar or an Improved Clinch knot.

Isn't a palomar for tying a looped line like a Bimini Twist or Triple Surgeon's knot onto a swivel or hook? So how do you tie a Palomar with the Slim Beauty which produces a single line of leader? Wouldn't that just be a no-name knot?

GatorzBack2Back

Seaman Apprentice

That is what I was thinking of doing if I wasn't going to use the Bimini Twist. How heavy of Flouro do you use? And what then to tie the Flouro to the hook/snap?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

For that application I would use #20 braid. Use a double uni (10 wraps braid - 6 wraps Fluoro) to attach a 3 foot long piece of #30 fluorocarbon for use as a leader.

I don?t like terminal hardware. I tie the bait directly to the fluorocarbon with a improved clinch knot.

GatorzBack2Back

Seaman Apprentice

Soooooo.....basically I should have checked in here before springing for the wire leader setups and clasps. Or maybe I should just put them on my son's pole. He's 7 and doesn't get braided line yet.

Man, I can't wait till it warms up again.......

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

Basically yes..But IMHO overkill for the type of fishing you were doing over there off Marco..

It is the only knot I know of that has 100% line strength. The most common use (that I am aware of) is chasing big marlin and tuna above 75 lbs..

maybe I'm just upset that I never got the hang of tying that s.o.b right! ;)

I gotta agree with this and I know Carlos well. I've used a uni and a loop knot for years with no issues, when you replace leader as much as we do here while fishing the mangroves you need fast and strong.