Problem with Penn 320 Reel

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I was out fishing Saturday, when the subject reel became progressively harder to crank. It went from working fine to almost impossible to turn, in a few minutes. Upon disassembly, I found the brass fitting that has the handle on one side and rides on a stainless rod was seized to the rod. There was plenty of grease in the reel. Has anybody seen this? It appears I need to soak the plate, rod and brass fitting in something to loosen it up. Any suggestions? Should I try some heat?

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Problem with Penn 320 Reel

Isn't that a level wind reel? I have one apart right now freeing up the level wind mechanism. Just to make sure it is not that, take off the chrome plate opposite the handle and then the side plate and the mechanism will come out. If not it, I would by all means soak it in your parts washer and let the grease break down and see what happens. Good luck! :)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I have 16-Penn 330 and 320 and have never had an issue with them.

If I read you correctly it sound like the gear sleeve seized. Do you tighten the drags down before rinsing? If you don't water will get down in the drag stack and cause that problem

Anyhow, here is a very good tutorial on tearing down a 320/330. Hope it helps.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=626165

BTW: To free it up squirt some PB blaster on it and let it sit for an hour or so. Should come apart w/o too much problem.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Rick, The level wind pawl seized up shortly after I got the reel. I replace it, and it is not an issue now.

Dingbat, I had the drag stack apart, when I worked on the reel on Sunday. The washers were clean. It looks like the brass part that the handle attaches to is seized to the stainless rod on which it is supposed to rotate. I sprayed it with PB, but did not have any success. I eitehr need to soak it, or heat it, at this point. I was going to mix some 2 cycle oil with some turpentine to soak the stuck part.