What is the best way to catch Flounder??????

paintitup12

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I,ve heard that crab,pinfish and sometimes if your lucky cut mullet are good baits. Is this true and what are the structure types that will hold them:confused: Thx:D

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What is the best way to catch Flounder??????

I always used sand worms and corn on a flounder rig.

Where do you fish?

Flounder typically like an upward slope and sandy bottom near an outfall or run out in a marsh or bayou. Flounder is an ambush predator but can be opportunistic. In other words, live bait is best, but if you but something tasty in front of him, he'll probably eat it. I will often find flounder mixed in with sea trout and redfish

What is the locally available live bait? Fish that on the bottom on a Carolina rig and you should be eating well soon:D

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

If drifting , 24" leader, circle hook, with a minnow + a 4" peice of squid strip.
A ball weight will depend on the drift speed, I use 4oz. +.

There are too many variations to spell out.
Ask the local tackle shop...

1st & formost, they gotta be there

cbac

Cadet

I'm on the southeast coast of the Gulf of Mexico so our ways of catching flounder may be different.
One of our methods is to pole along the banks of canals and gig them. We go at night and use underwater spotlights to see them olong the slopes.

Daytime.
I've had good luck with artificial worms. Root beer or darker colors. Let them sink and bounce them on the bottom. Flounder are attackers and they will rise off the bottom, suck in the artificial and then head back down, so you have to feel it a bit before you strike.
If you want some fun use a fly rod.:D

flavtfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

a carolina rig....or have the weight on the bottom of about a 3 flourocarbon leader with one leader being about 10 inches from the bottom and another 15-20 inches above that...then a swivel attached to your reel line(pretty much a carolina rig) use bucktails with your hooks and bait them with either live shrimp, strip squid, silversides, bull minnows. flounder eat a lot of different stuff. but the bucktails really work...green, white, red, yellow...purple sometimes works. i've caught a ton of flounder in the chesapeake bay and i'm just now fishing florida with the same rigs with similar results. i've caught most of my flounder in the chesapeake bay drifting and anchored here in florida off wrecks and artificial reefs

flavtfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

giggin works real well too if you have the boat for it...you can even walk some flats....need to be real slow and watch for gators too if you're doing it in fla.

paintitup12

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I fish at mostly a inlet or flat so most of this will work for that right
THX

flavtfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

in virginia we fish the flats in the early spring with that same set up i listed above and it still catches a ton of fish....this is the set up my father and i have used all our lives and have no problem putting our fair share in the cooler....i just moved to florida and fished an 80 ft artificial kelp bed and had the same results...only i used live shrimp instead of a strip of squid with a silverside minow. Caught my limit

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The way I read this is that most respondents are talking about Summer Flounder AKA Fluke. Fluke have teeth and are predators. Flounder have no teeth and suck there bait in. I fish them very differently from each other. For Fluke, I like live bait or Spearing with a strip of Squid. I use a small piece of Clam or Sand worm for Flounder. Chumming with corn may help. I like a nice drift when Fluke fishing but I anchor for Flounder.

But, beware, I am a lousy fisherman so don't put too much in what I do.

footunyatz

Recruit

I live and fish Long Island creeks for flounder in the early months. The best way up here is to anchor in a creek on a muddy bottom. Muddy bottoms hold more heat. I use fresh bank muscles for bait as well as chum. If you can, salt the chum the night before with kosher salt and if possible steam your bait muscles as well as salt them before heading out. Steaming them makes them more apt to stay on hook.

angus63

Captain

Winter flounder are scavengers. They fed primarily by scent and probing the bottom. In spring, anchor up in shallow moving water and stir up the bottom before dropping a line. They'll follow the scent trail to you.

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

When on a drift use a circle hook, 3" piece of squid, & a live minno.

cyfehr

Cadet

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but minnows and squid seem to do the trick.
At least in the Delaware Bay. Heck, there were times I didn't even know I had a flounder on my rod because I thought I was hung till I brought it to the
surface.

tylerr83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

live mummies work great for fluke if thats wht your after....not so sure about winter flounder...get a minnow trap you can get em in shallow water around piers and docks then the only trouble is keepin em alive....definatley recomend a baitwell for that