How do i catch that redfish?

paintitup12

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know how to catch em with lures but how do i set up the rig with live bait?
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 I have a small flat right outside some of my creeks near my house im hoping that will be good

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How do i catch that redfish?

Rig up a popping cork with a 12 or 15 inch leader, 3/0 hook and a live shrimp. Give the rig 3 quick "pops", wait a few minutes and pop again. Live shrimp is good, I like cut mullet best and a close second is "Gulp" shrimp in New Penney or Nuclear chicken.

EJ3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cut mullet is good, I use a size 5 hook with a good chunk of mullet on it. I have also had luck with live shrimp and gulps sunk to the bottom.

Location, location, location!!! Look for structure and jumping mullet. If the mullet are jumping and your in a flats area without a sandy bottom, STOP AND FISH!!!!

I haven't tried a poping cork for reds, but I have for sea trout with moderate results.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Red Fish love mullet heads. The larger the bait the larger the fish. BTW the large Red Fish (Bull Reds) are not very good for table fair unless you like eating leather. :p

paintitup12

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i heard just castin out a bit of mullet then lettin it sit there will work is it true?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I find fresh Bunker or Menhaden heads, whichever you call them, on a 13/0 circle hook or a 8/0 Octopus hook works quite well. A whole live Spot will do the trick in a pinch.

If we could just get the Gulf coast to stop killing the big fish and institute a 18-27" slot like we have maybe they would have a chance of competing with us as the big Red Fish capital of the world :D

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Just what is a popping cork?

Thanks.

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I find fresh Bunker or Menhaden heads, whichever you call them, on a 13/0 circle hook or a 8/0 Octopus hook works quite well. A whole live Spot will do the trick in a pinch.

If we could just get the Gulf coast to stop killing the big fish and institute a 18-27" slot like we have maybe they would have a chance of competing with us as the big Red Fish capital of the world :D

The slot for Texas is 20"-28", although with a tag you can keep one over the slot per year.

frankie g

Petty Officer 1st Class

best bait IMO is a 2" steak of Ladyfish, toss it under the mangroves, or in a pot hole. ;)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The slot for Texas is 20"-28", although with a tag you can keep one over the slot per year.

That's good to hear. Do all the Gulf States have similar regulations?

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

hello,

being here in so texas... i have been red fish fishing. offshore. we used live mullet.

that aside, if u havent eated fresh, i mean fresh as in caught that day... red fish... ummmm, u r sure missing a delicious fish!!

soo tasty!!

regards,
lakester :cool:

TonyNoriega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Florida slot is 18" to 27" (pinched tail method) with one fish per day per fisherman. It's been tightly regulated since the Gulf stocks were nearly depleated when blackened redfish became the restaurant rage.

Redfish are not very discriminating when it comes to what they'll eat......the previous posters mentioned cut bait and shrimp and Gulp baits......and for sure I've caught them on all those. They'll also readily take live baits.

Try fishing the edge of the flat you mentioned - often reds will cruise the edge of flats or structure looking for a meal.

Good luck!

tjl76evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cajun_1.jpg

use one of those above a DOA shrimp lure, real shrimp, chunk bait, mullet, whichever.

paintitup12

Petty Officer 3rd Class

what is the best kind of structure or place to find them? flats, mangroves ?

thx

landen

Recruit

here in texas in the gulf we use what we call brass glass and 4 or 5 split shots with hook. brass first followed by glass beads,you can find them at your local academy,or what ever out door fishing store in your local area. I personally like to use croaker but not in season right now,season starts here in texas middle of may. But try it out sometime fishing is great, the sound the glass and brass makes under water just drives crazy.Just bait and pop your rod every free 10 to 15 seconds the sound mimics a live shrimp,not to mention it makes the croaker croak of course,which is a preador of redfish and speckled trout they dont like the croaker because they eat there eggs.try out sometime great way to catch redfish and trout.

tfonz

Recruit

In La. the slot is 16" to 27" you can keep only one over 27." Believe it or not the good ole boys are good about releasing them and keeping none over 28" those are mostly released although a few are kept obviously.

Dingbat: Surely you jest? what makes you think you are in the redfish capital of the world:D??????

Read this article it might shed a little light on the reality of it.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=11

According to publications by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Louisiana’s recreational landing of red drum is roughly twice that of Texas, and five times that of Florida’s Gulf Coast

Gutz

Cadet

Hook a live or frozen shrimp through the tail and cast her out there, man! Redfish, flounder and speckled trout all love shrimp....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

In La. the slot is 16" to 27" you can keep only one over 27." Believe it or not the good ole boys are good about releasing them and keeping none over 28" those are mostly released although a few are kept obviously.

Dingbat: Surely you jest? what makes you think you are in the redfish capital of the world:D??????

Read this article it might shed a little light on the reality of it.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=11

According to publications by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Louisiana?s recreational landing of red drum is roughly twice that of Texas, and five times that of Florida?s Gulf Coast

I personally prefer quality over quantity. ;)

The Tar Heel State is famous for its trophy-sized red drum that weigh in excess of 40 pounds, traditionally caught in the surf and sound between Oregon Inlet and Cape Lookout.

In 1984, a giant red drum was caught off Hatteras Island that weighed 94 pounds, 2 ounces; aside from being the state record red drum, this is also a world record for all tackle. North Carolina has produced 10 out of 16 current world records for red drum.

Gutz

Cadet

I like the Texas slot size (20 - 28 inches) becuz those are the best eating! The one (1) big 'un that you can tag and keep once a year - I'd take her picture and then let her go back and make more babies. The littler ones (under 20") don't make enough fillets to keep....throw 'em back and let 'em grow up!

Hopefully all the coastal states will follow suit with the slot sizes for the high demand redfish and protect their numbers...so far so good here at Texas Point.

The Slot here in Mississippi is 18 - 30". 3 per person, one may be over 30. The slot went up this year. It was 18 - 28". Which I prefer. The narrower slot helps insure a healthy breading stock.
I caught a limit two hours ago. 22, 23, and 25", and while the charcoal is getting right Ill mention my methods.
This time of year i use 2 1/2 to 4'' finger mullet live or strips of mullet fillets on a gulf rig or Carolina rigged. #3/0 Mustad hooks and 1/2 to 1 oz. weight depending on the tide movement.
In the fall i go to Shrimp. Live with a poppin cork when there runnin hard, and dead gulf rigged on the slower days.
The dead shrimp rig is my "Go-To" for black drum anytime of year.