• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do i catch that redfish?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i catch that redfish?

I know how to catch em with lures but how do i set up the rig with live bait?
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 I have a small flat right outside some of my creeks near my house im hoping that will be good
    A sailor's heart is always bigger than the waves

Re: How do i catch that redfish?

Rig up a popping cork with a 12 or 15 inch leader, 3/0 hook and a live shrimp. Give the rig 3 quick "pops", wait a few minutes and pop again. Live shrimp is good, I like cut mullet best and a close second is "Gulp" shrimp in New Penney or Nuclear chicken.
    "Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold" - Helen Keller

Comment

Cut mullet is good, I use a size 5 hook with a good chunk of mullet on it. I have also had luck with live shrimp and gulps sunk to the bottom.

Location, location, location!!! Look for structure and jumping mullet. If the mullet are jumping and your in a flats area without a sandy bottom, STOP AND FISH!!!!

I haven't tried a poping cork for reds, but I have for sea trout with moderate results.
      Are we having fun yet?

Comment

Red Fish love mullet heads. The larger the bait the larger the fish. BTW the large Red Fish (Bull Reds) are not very good for table fair unless you like eating leather.
        Of those who receive good advice, only the wise will profit from it.

If you need it....Get it
        If you want it....Wait
        If you have it....Flaunt it

sigpic

Comment

i heard just castin out a bit of mullet then lettin it sit there will work is it true?

Comment

I find fresh Bunker or Menhaden heads, whichever you call them, on a 13/0 circle hook or a 8/0 Octopus hook works quite well. A whole live Spot will do the trick in a pinch.

If we could just get the Gulf coast to stop killing the big fish and institute a 18-27" slot like we have maybe they would have a chance of competing with us as the big Red Fish capital of the world
            Grady White 226
            200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
            Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
            Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
            ICOM M504A VHF
            Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

Just what is a popping cork?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by dingbat View Post
                I find fresh Bunker or Menhaden heads, whichever you call them, on a 13/0 circle hook or a 8/0 Octopus hook works quite well. A whole live Spot will do the trick in a pinch.

If we could just get the Gulf coast to stop killing the big fish and institute a 18-27" slot like we have maybe they would have a chance of competing with us as the big Red Fish capital of the world
                The slot for Texas is 20"-28", although with a tag you can keep one over the slot per year.
                "Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold" - Helen Keller

Comment

best bait IMO is a 2" steak of Ladyfish, toss it under the mangroves, or in a pot hole.

Comment

Originally posted by tnduc View Post
                    The slot for Texas is 20"-28", although with a tag you can keep one over the slot per year.
                    That's good to hear. Do all the Gulf States have similar regulations?
                    Grady White 226
                    200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
                    Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
                    Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
                    ICOM M504A VHF
                    Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

hello,

being here in so texas... i have been red fish fishing. offshore. we used live mullet.

that aside, if u havent eated fresh, i mean fresh as in caught that day... red fish... ummmm, u r sure missing a delicious fish!!

soo tasty!!

regards,
                      lakester
                      sigpic
                      Lakester Special
                      '71 85HP Evinrude

Comment

The Florida slot is 18" to 27" (pinched tail method) with one fish per day per fisherman. It's been tightly regulated since the Gulf stocks were nearly depleated when blackened redfish became the restaurant rage.

Redfish are not very discriminating when it comes to what they'll eat......the previous posters mentioned cut bait and shrimp and Gulp baits......and for sure I've caught them on all those. They'll also readily take live baits.

Try fishing the edge of the flat you mentioned - often reds will cruise the edge of flats or structure looking for a meal.

Good luck!
                        tbonefortysix

Comment

use one of those above a DOA shrimp lure, real shrimp, chunk bait, mullet, whichever.

Comment

what is the best kind of structure or place to find them? flats, mangroves ?

thx

Comment

here in texas in the gulf we use what we call brass glass and 4 or 5 split shots with hook. brass first followed by glass beads,you can find them at your local academy,or what ever out door fishing store in your local area. I personally like to use croaker but not in season right now,season starts here in texas middle of may. But try it out sometime fishing is great, the sound the glass and brass makes under water just drives crazy.Just bait and pop your rod every free 10 to 15 seconds the sound mimics a live shrimp,not to mention it makes the croaker croak of course,which is a preador of redfish and speckled trout they dont like the croaker because they eat there eggs.try out sometime great way to catch redfish and trout.

Comment

Working...
                              X