Buoy Ten-Columbia River, fish report anyone?

woodrat

Ensign
Anyone been down to Buoy Ten in the last few days? In the ocean? How is it?

woodrat

Ensign
Re: Buoy Ten-Columbia River, fish report anyone?

Ok, I guess I will just answer my own question.

My oldest daughter and I went down there today, and, after a pretty flat bar crossing, ran out 6 miles to the CR buoy. Hooked the first fish about 10 seconds after putting the first line in the water. I was still letting out line when it hit. Nice keeper coho, about 9 # or so. Fished for about an hour and a half, caught one more keeper coho and a undersized king, and then hightailed it back in becuase it was getting windy and pretty sloppy out there. The fish counter at Chinook said that we were the big winners for the day, even amongst those who were in the ocean. I heard on the VHF about a lot of natives being released, but not many keepers

It was my 12 year old's first salmon, and first ocean trip, and she was pretty stoked. The only real bummer was coming back to find all three crab pots GONE. At first I thought maybe one had washed away, but I had 100' of line on each one and they were only in 30-40' of water, and all three were missing. We looked everywhere and found not a trace. I think some creep bagged them...grr! :|

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I got my pots ripped off in Sekiu!.....
& someone else got them ripped off at Piller point....
They made it sound like it was not that all uncommon.....
As you know, they a'int cheap....
Funny how I can leave my pots out for days in the big, bad city & they are still there when I return....
All I can say is: :|........
I wish there were a way to keep the scumbags from just waltzing off with them......
I think having to put your address on them is like ringing the dinner bell for would-be thieves.....
I wish there were a way to put a locater chip in & catch the low-lifes....
There is nothing more contemptible than a thief, IMHO....JK

woodrat

Ensign

While I was searching for my missing pots, I was bemoaning to my daughter about how I didn't want to shell out the dough to buy new ones. "They're not free, you know!", I said. She paused for a minute, and said, "well, it looks like they WERE free..."

yep.

Yeah I've never had trouble in seattle. I did loose one at Nisqually Delta, when I set a lightweght folding pot, with only one float, on 100' of line, in 85 feet of water, next to a underwater drop off. Duh!

I knew right away what happened to that one as soon as I couldn't find it. But these were double floated, in 30-40' of water, and well laid out with the GPS.

woodrat

Ensign

OK, well after a terrible week in the ocean the week before last, I went out today, and kept two really nice slivers, released four BIG natives, and lost two before I got them to the boat. MUCH better! This was about 1.5 nm NNW of the CR buoy.

Ended up almost losing the boat due to a submerged object of some kind trashing my outdrive when I was almost back to the ramp, but that's another story... Many thanks and praises to the Coast Guard towboat crew for saving my boat and helping me get it back on the trailer.