Cod fishing Stellwagen.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I just got back from an incredible fishing trip.<br />Thursday afternoon we left Upstate NY and drove 400 miles to Gloucester,MA.We got there around 10.30 at night and lodged in the Cape Anne Marina hotel which is about 50 yards away from the boat we chartered for a day.Friday morning at six we left the harbor on the "Kaymantoo" and running at 20 knots we steamed for 2 hours to north west Stellwagen bank into the zone where commercial fishing is forbidden.Once we got there we dropped our lines and from there on it was hard work.<br />It started with a 38 pound cod caught by my carpenter friend Jim and 2 minutes later,my 14 year old son (I made him skip school for the trip)caught a 41 pounder( we put that one back in to spawn another day),which he topped of a minute later with a 31 pounder.From there on it was nonstop hard work for close to three hours and between the five of us we caught some sixty fish with an overall weight of well over 800 pounds.A really strange thing happened.I was hooked into something big,it was taking my line off even though the drag was set at 60 pounds and then it broke my leader (80#).Needless to say,I was very upset.In the meantime my son had hooked into another fish and was fighting it and while bringing it in,he called me to help him and there was my broken leader tangled up in his line with two big cod on it.So he ended up bringing in my double header and his own fish on top of that.His arms were hurting!!<br />The fish was at 200 feet on good structure.We rigged up with power pro and dacron 80 pound line,with 80 pound fluorocarbon leaders and 16 ounce sinkers.It was great to use these braids because we felt every nibble from 200 feet away.Mono would never have done this for us.The Captain of the boat -Kevin Twombly- knows where the fish is and is just a real nice guy.On the way back we cleaned fish for a good 2 hours with the captain doubling as the mate while the boat was on automatic pilot.We ended up with 245 pounds of cod filet.Between my son and me,that means a hundred pounds of filet in the freezer.<br />Going out on a small boat like this is a hundred times better than 50 people standing shoulder to shoulder on a head boat.<br />All in all a great weekend.

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: Cod fishing Stellwagen.

:) glad ya had a excellent trip !!! you went with one of the best charter captains on the other Cape!!! even tho U broke the law by your own addmitance 60 fish for 5 people U are allowed 10 cod per person!!!<br /><br />Did ya have any haddock???? ;) :cool:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The captain was number six!!!!<br />No haddock at all,they are getting some on the southern edges of the bank.By May they should be farther up north.My real wish is to catch a halibut,but it seems that those are no longer around this far south.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Your right the capt. does make six!!!! <br /><br />There has been haddock not far from the breakwater, parse tho!!!!<br /><br />Stricter regulations on cod in the near future if it hasn't happened already!!! Cod going to 24" for recreational fishing ;) :cool:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Not to worry about the 24 inch minimum.It sounds like a good thing.Besides,we did not catch anything under 10 pounds so size was not a problem.<br />Right now we are starting to plan a camping,fishing trip in June or July.We think about camping on Cape Anne or near the Merrymack and using the ramp by the high school.Do you think you can give us some pointers about the possibilities on Cape Anne? Kevin promised he would tell me where the stripers will be.We are thinking about a mackarel,haddock, striper bluefish trip.Maybe even a football or two although those would probably be later in the season.The boat we will bring is an 18 footer with radio,fishfinders and gps pushed along by a 60 horse Johnnie.<br />thanks.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) There is the Cape Ann Camp Site on Atlantic Street with Wingaersheek Beach just down the road and they should be able to give you a free beach pass!! You can get on the river side of the beach and cast from shore!!! When you came to go cod fishing you must have taken exit 14, to reach the camp site you would take the next exit 13!!! Will get ya some info or a web site!!! ;) :cool:

Quadruplecccc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi rolmops,<br /> I'm new to this forum and was suprised to see a codfishing thread. I've been working on putting a trip together myself for the Memorial Day weekend.Was thinking of going up to Provincetown for boat ramp and lodging. A mag. article got me interested and now I'm collecting any info I can get. Heard about the Stellwagon Banks before. Would I be able to reach this area with my 23' boat? Would appreciate any info you can share! I also have better than 400 mi. to travel. Gotta make this one count! THANKS!

Quadruplecccc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If anyone else out there can help me out on this I would be greatful!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Fly Rod

Commander

:) rolmops!!!<br /><br />Click on www.cape-ann.com/campsite<br /><br />You will be in the best striped bass and bluefish waters of New England from mid June thru Sept.<br /><br />Good thing here is that when wind is blowing hard on one side of the island you can fish the lee side!!!! ;) :cool:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Welcome aboard Quadruplecccc<br />Yes you could reach the southern end of the bank,but only if you are prepared to deal with no land on the horizon, unexpected winds,breaching whales 10 feet away from you, your boat can carry fifty gallons of fuel and you have radio,depth finder and gps.Then you must find out which areas are closed for fishing and where the fish is.<br />The small boat launch in P town is fair but it has terrible parking and Provincetown itself is quaint in a very kwere(real spelling censored) way...Pamot harbor might be a better bet.<br />In a nutshell,my advice would be to come without your boat, take a charter trip and pick the captain's brains.After you know what you are up against come back with your own boat in July when the Cape cod fishing is fabulous.<br />I agree with Flyrod that Cape Anne is the better harbor for Stellwagen and besides,out of Cape Anne there are a lot of places that are closer to shore, that will give good fishing now that the commercial season is closed

Fly Rod

Commander

:) rolmops!! shame on U sending that newbie to the other cape!!! U just caught 60 fish off of Cape Ann and your sending him in the other direction!!!<br /><br />There is no better place to fish then CAPE ANN!!! :D :D <br /><br />www.kaymancharters.com<br /><br />www.annerowecharters.com

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Flyrod,There is no better place for the north east and the Gulf of Maine.Gloucester is it!!!<br />If you get really lucky you might go for a day with this guy in Gloucester called Richard Pino,but I hear that he is really picky and not everyone is allowed on his boat.Besides, you better not wear black soled shoes or he'll teach you how to swim.He may or may not have his boat out in the water by memorial day weekend,but in my opinion he will give you the time of your life!!!<br />As for sending that newby to the other cape,well,I did what any good fisherman does.It makes no sense to share a honey hole with all the guys,they'll just empty it out without even saying thank you.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) If that fella is that picky, I guess I will never get on his boat either, all I wear is black soled shoes and I can't swim!!!! Who would want to go with a guy that may have ya swimming and he may not like flyfishermen!!!! ;) :cool:

Quadruplecccc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, I'm taking this all in as we go. I got started on this by reading an article about cod fishing in the "SALTWATER SPORTSMAN". They described great cod fishing through May and June off of Truro Ma. Now, they ran their boat across the bay from Plymouth. I thought I could do a little better by finding a launch closer to the fishing grounds. Researched Pamet harbor a little and somehow learned of a launch in P-town. OK, P-town is out! Pamet would be the next target as I'm still looking at 400 mi to get there. IS the fishing for cod any good here or is this guy blowin smoke out his tailpipe? Still not into chartering a boat when I can give it a shot on my own. Reason: I had a really bad experience with a charter in this area many yrs. ago and swore to never do a charter again.Would like to explore some new water with a couple of friends and catch some tastey fish to bring home. Just need the right info to put it together so stick with me so I can get off the fence about coming up there or not. Thanks again for all your help!!!

Quadruplecccc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rolmops, Not looking to clean out your honey hole, just looking for alittle advise between fisherman. BUT,why post such a good thread about an awsome fishin trip if you don't want anyone else to wonder if he or she might try their luck at catching a few also. For me, I'll only be able to make this trip one time. If I do well maybe one next year. How would this clean out any hole? Not trying to start anything, just thinking aloud

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Good morning Q.<br />The run between Plymouth and Pam Harbor is very easily done with your boat.No problem there.As long as you have very good depth measuring gear because Billingsgate shoals might get in your way and the sands shift.<br />For a short period of time there is some cod fishing in the bay and it is mediocre at best.It was great about 50 years ago.<br />As for honey holes..,you just witnessed some sparring between two members on a board.Flyrod is a charter boat captain,whereas I come and fish maybe once a year in that area.<br />As for chartering a boat..A head boat with fifty people on it is a royal pain in the neck.A boat with 4 or five friends with an experienced captain/guide is a great experience.It would cost about as much as hauling your boat 400 miles and then fueling it up to go in search of fish.<br />Truro is about 90 miles onto the cape.If you drive straight to Boston and then to Gloucester,you will have gone about 40 miles farther.<br />Anyways,got to go to work.You are welcome to my honeyholes.The charter boat captains know where they are.They do not give away their coordinates,I dont have them,they just take me there.

Quadruplecccc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi rolmops! I wondered what the difference would be between the two. That was helpful! In your original post you said you traveld to the northwest,but when I look at my map the "STELLWAGEN" appears to be to the southeast toward Cape Cod. Would you happen to know how long the "BANK" is? It doesn't seem that it would go past Cape Ann.<br />I'm hearing your advise on taking a charter,it's just I can't forget about the trip I chartered out of Marshfield a decade ago. We dropped $1500 bucks for that trip and had a terrible time.Just determined to make our own fate instead of trusting someone who could potentially take us for another crappy boat ride. It's amazing how long a bad experience can haunt you!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello Q.<br />We went fishing on the north-west end of Stellwagen which is indeed to the south-east of Cape Anne.<br />In choosing our charter trip we were well advised by some very trust worthy people from this board.In fact the Kayman Too is booked solid until the end of June and it is very rare that people do not book a repeat trip with this captain.<br />About 15 years ago fishing on the North-east sea board was in a very sorry state.The cod population had collapsed along with the haddock ,striper and fluke.The only species that thrived were the bluefish and dogfish.<br />Ever since that time commercial fishing has been severely limited and the stocks have rebounded,although they are still at a much lower level compared to 60 years ago.I write this so you can understand why your trip then was so lousy and what the potential is for your trip this summer.<br />One thing you will have to get used to in this general area and that is lobsterpots.thousands of them and they all have nasty ropes on them that love to catch your hooks.<br />The bank is about 25 miles long,starts six miles north of Cape Cod and ends about 7 miles south east of Cape Anne.Its width is different in different places.<br />good luck!!

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Stellwagen or Middle Bank what ever you want to call it is just 12 miles sse, 155 degrees off Cape Ann, Gloucester, Mass., which is the north west corner!!! Also just 3 miles off of Thatcher Island is the beginning of Jefferies Ledge which also runs to Maine and southern Canada!!! these areas are some of the riches fishing grounds on the eastern seaboard!!!! the next stop from our coast is England, you are playing in a big pond!!!<br /><br />On a good day you can get to the fishing grounds, but you best be careful over 5000 fishermen have gone down to the sea in their ships since the year 1900<br /><br />You can get there in a 23' boat but you best be ready to haulabut when the whitecaps appear!!! I go there in my 26' boat but you best not hesitate when the weather changes,don't say we will stay another 10 minutes because the fishing is great, it may cost you your life!!!<br /><br />as the water warms up you may need to travel 20 miles out to go fishing!!!! ;) :cool:

Quadruplecccc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unfortunately there were several different reasons why that trip went south and none of them were because low fish stocks. Really, the fishing had nothing to do with it.Fishing is fishing, you expect highs and lows when you've been at it for as long as we have. But, having to deal with someone's ignorance at your expense is another story! I'll end it on that note, enough said.<br />This trip will be based on a fair weather report only. If it gets snotty on us we may never even get the chance to raindate it.<br />I frequent the waters off Sandy Hook NJ. and use the same caution there. It's not worth the 100 mi. ride to get your butt kicked. Most of the time I've gotta work 6 days a week with some double shifts thrown in so if the forcast looks iffy I plan a fishing trip inland. Not near as fun but at least i'm on the water! Sadly I guess I have to dub myself as a weekend warrior cause it's the only time I get. Oh well!<br />Thanks for all the helpful info! I'll put it to good use! I guess right now I can only think of one mor question: That mag. article descibed the water out in front of Truro 3-6 mi. out as being good water to find cod once the water temp reaches 47*, I'm a little scepticle. Any thoughts on this? Keep em comin guys , I really thank you for your help! I gotta go to bed I'm beat!! Q.