What cast net to buy?

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello all - <br /><br />I am looking to purchase a castnet, and just want to see what everyone else's opinions are, before I plunk down a chunk o' change. I've used the Betts in a 5' size, & am thinking about moving up to the Excalibur gold series in either 6' or 8'. It's primarily for salt water baitfish in the 4" to 10" range.<br /><br />Any ideas/ advice?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Matt M

MichaelMullis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What cast net to buy?

Hello, I have been using the Betts for about a year now, 6' Betts Blue, 6' bets old salt, and now a 7' super pro and I like them all. I looked at the Excaliber and the Calusa but they were out of my price range. I will be going to a 10' next and may try a Bait Buster. Be sure to get a 6/8 panel net. I can see the diff. brtween my nets and the 7' is easier to open than the cheaper 6's I mostly shrimp and catch shad for bait and the 1.5lb per foot does get heavy after a while.

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

One of the things that Excalibur does that I like is the "lots of small shot close together" rather than the larger, more spread our weights. But I had success with the Betts net, & wouldn't shirk at another one. <br /><br />A few years ago, I separated my right wrist, and a few years before that I dislocated my right shoulder, so I know how quickly that weight can start making itself known! Then again, my doc might say it's a form of physical therapy. . .

MichaelMullis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the price the Betts "Old Salt" series is a good net. I threw mine shrimping this past weekend rather than the "super pro". The 1.5lb per foot gets to heavey after a couple of hours throwing. If you can afford them the excalibur or the Callusa are great nets but they are heavy. If you can open the 5' then you should step up to the 8 or 10' nets. You may have to change the way you throw. I found that the high/low way that Callusa teachs is very easy to learn and is easy to throw and open the net. Also, look on the net for currie custom cast nets. I hear that he makes a good net but is pricey. He does have a good sight with good info, but I could not thow a net the way he shows, I tried just did not open very well. <br />good luck <br />Michael

LadyFish

Admiral

Thanks for the info baitkiller. Since I no longer throw tacos, I may try a bigger net this year. I just can't cover enough ground with my 5'.

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info! <br /><br />I checked out Currie's site - I'm likin' the 8-panel design...not much more than the Excalibur, either.<br /><br />Well - I have all winter to decide, now that the castnetting season is over for me...<br /><br />Of course - any other input is greatly appreciated! I need something for the winter to think about!<br /><br />Thanks again,<br />Matt

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Laker cast net that I got at a Walmart. It was far cheaper than any other brand and throws just as well. It throws the same as my friend's 5ft Betts nylon net. At the price that it is, it's no big deal to rip one. You can afford to buy a new one every season.

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Laker 6' cast net that I got at a Walmart. It was far cheaper than any other brand and throws just as well. It throws the same as my friend's 5ft Betts nylon net. At the price that it is, it's no big deal to rip one. You can afford to buy a new one every season.<br />The net that I learned on is a 3.5' Betts Tyzac. I still use the net regularly. I can throw it much further than the 6'. It has found a home in my surf fishing gear, just in case the bait is right up against the beach. The lighter weight is also nice as I do a lot of fishing at Sandy Hook and the walk onto North Beach is a trip and a half with all of your gear.

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

There's a good flat at Spermaceti Cove, Sandy Hook, that at outgoing tide drains out by a 10-15 foor channel - excellent for getting baitfish!<br /><br />One of the things I liked about the Betts (also a tyzac) is that above the horn is a disc that all the braille lines go through individually, so that they can be very easily straingtened out & organized merely by pushing the disc all the way down, then pulling it back up.<br />-----------------------<br />I just stopped at the local tackle store for some other things I needed, and they had an 8' Scotchline net for 14.99. What I thought was neat about it was that the leadline was hollowbraid that was filled with lead shot - no exposed lead weights!<br /><br />I bought it.<br /><br />I'll still get a good net, but for the price I had to buy it. I can use it in marginal/questionable waters where I wouldn't want to risk the good one (when I get it).

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you think that Spercimatti Cove is good then you've never been to Horse Shoe Cove. Killies and mullet everywhere. I've gotten killies six inches long there. I actually go to school on Sandy Hook and the school is marine biology oriented so we do a lot of fish sampling, mostly with a seine net. But you can't get everything with a seine net so my teachers tell me the hotspots to catch bait in exchange for me bringing my cast net and catching fish that are too quick for the seine net.<br />I really hate driving by South Beach every morning on the bus and watching the birds going insane and knowing that there's blues and stripers right there.

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Horseshoe Cove is great, especially at the north end where the marsh drains out, but every time I've been there, there's several people already there - they've got it locked up as "their spot". I'd rather not horn in on their action, so I usually will find myself further south.<br /><br />BUT - The one time I did get there without anyone else it was a no-brainer...REALLY great pickin's

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just yesterday on one of my classes we went on a beachwalk. If at all possible GO TO NORTH BEACH NOW!!! There's a cut in the beach and we were there as the tide was coming in. We were watching multiple stripers swimming against the current at the mouth of this cut. Go to North Beach and go North maybe 1/2 a mile. My friends that fish and I were almost in tears just looking at them because we didn't have a rod. :(

KilroyJC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the heads-up!<br />I'll try to get there either tomorrow or Saturday. <br /><br />One of the nastiest four-letter words: W - O - R - K !<br /><br />---------------<br /><br />Good site to use for tides:<br /> http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/newyorksites.html <br /><br />---------------<br /><br />I'm sortakinda guessin that you're attached to the marine research school on the Hook, right?

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Save your throwing shoulders . Collect at and after sundown. Also "herd them" with some extra people in the shallows at night. Do it next to a seaweed bed. Thin them out into seperate nets that close. Weight them into the seaweed beds Put plenty of weeds in each holding net. Make sure the bed is deep enough to stop the sun from killing them or you will have eels and crabs galore.