Reel for Penn rod

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just picked up a nice 70's Penn Senator 3/0 rod at a yard sale for $5. It had a couple bad eyes, and rusty rollers. I had the eyes replaced, and I replaced all the rollers. Now I have a nice rod for under $35. I plan to use this rod offshore for Tuna, the 3-4 times a year my father in law and I go. I was going to buy it a matching 3/0 Penn reel on ebay, but my father-in-law says thats too small, I should buy a 4/0 or a 6/0. I'd think a 3/0 rod should use a 3/0 reel, but I figured I'd ask. The rod says 20-40lb line.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Reel for Penn rod

I'd stick a Senator 113 or a 330 GTI on there, but it is only as strong as the line you put on.It seems a bit light for serious tuna fishing,but it should be fine for Blues and Stripers.<br />If you want to do Tuna anyway,you should get a reel that can hold a lot of 50 pound line(300 yards or more)maybe a 113 or 114 wide spool would do that for you.The fact that it has rollers points to it being a wireline rod.If you want to use wire line make sure that you get a reel with a bronze spool otherwise electrolyses will eat up your reel.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

3/0 (112), or maybe a Jigmaster (500-L)... A 4/0's a maybe, but a 6/0's not going to balance out on that 3/0 rod...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The whole setup is too light for tuna but if you’re determined to use it I'd go with the Penn 114 or a TLD 25. Neither will balance correctly on that rod but then again it’s a misapplication of the rod so you’re stuck with it.