Recreational lobstering with MFG cartop fisherman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recreational lobstering with MFG cartop fisherman

I have been using my 12' MFG to do some lobstering here in Maine, it has been a very stable if cramped boat to play around in the small bay where I have a cottage. The boat has worked well and its in pretty good shape for the age, but I recently got a good deal on a Shell Lake Tri-14 so will switch over to that. I'm wondering if anyone else is using one of these old boats like this, maybe crabbing?

One of the last hauls of the season I got an egg bearing female, had to notch the tail and throw her back, luckily four of her boyfriends did not get off so easy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cooked.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	278055
    Last edited by John Painter; September 29th, 2017, 06:38 AM.

If anyone is interested this is what it looks like lobstering in an old MFG cartop fisherman.

Name:	image_278033.jpg
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	278033

Name:	boat.JPG
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	278058
    Last edited by John Painter; September 29th, 2017, 10:06 AM.

Comment

12' is a tad small for lobstering. The pot itself must take up close to 3' when you haul it up. That 14' will be much better room wise and more stable. But any boat is great that can get you out to get free lobsters.

Dave S. S/W Louisiana
      2002 Larson SEI 190 fish 'n ski. 2002 Suzuki DF140 4 stroke
      Sold: 2000 Odyssey Lextra 2102 Pontoon Boat, 2000 Johnson 90hp J90PLSSE
      Sold: 1987 Rinker V190 4.3L 175 HP Alpha One Gen one

Comment

Do you need a licence for that in Maine? There are lobster here where i fish but you can't touch them unless you are a licenced fisherman.
        1978 Grew 194 with Merc 165 inline6 pre alpha

Comment

Originally posted by KJM View Post
          Do you need a licence for that in Maine? There are lobster here where i fish but you can't touch them unless you are a licenced fisherman.
          Yes Maine has a "recreational" lobster/crab fishing license.

My wife still beats me up now and then for giving up my commercial license years ago, once in awhile I'm wistful too, then I remember I was just talking with an old friend who said his bait bill for last year was $40k. You can imagine what his diesel fuel bill was.

Comment

I wish they would come up with something like that here, it would be great to go out and get a few lobsters when you want. The commercial fishermen would likely kick up a racket over it though.
            1978 Grew 194 with Merc 165 inline6 pre alpha

Comment

Working...
            X