oyster cracker/toadfish

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Caught a bunch of these at Murderkill River entrance to Delaware Bay today - I thought they were sea Robins, but fellow angler called them oyster crackers.
Slimy, no scales.
Seems they can be eaten? Small drumstick-;like flesh on tail. I threw them back, but maybe try a big one? Supposedly you pull skin off like on an eel...?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Gyrene, Pictures, pictures, pictures. We need pictures.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gyrene, Pictures, pictures, pictures. We need pictures.
I didn't take pictures. Is your browser broken?
oyster-toadfish-by-Lindsay-Gunzburger.jpg

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
First pic is toadfish (oyster cracker) - below is sea robin

SeaRobin_LongIslandSound1.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Gyrene, first of all, I have never ever fished in any thing but fresh water. Secondly I have no idea what you were referencing with those names. And third, my browser is working just find if I knew what you were talking about. Lots of folks on these forum have no idea the species others catch and since this is an information site, I thought pictures would offer more insist. Sorry to have caused you any issues. :sorry:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Never heard of anybody eating a toad fish. Too many better eating fish in the sea.....lol

Biggest I've ever seen was maybe 12"-14" long

Last edited:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Toadfish around here are venemous and you couldn't pay me to eat one! :nono:​

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I'm talking about Opsanus beta found in the Gulf. I guess I should have said toxic instead of venomous but either way is nasty!

Gyrene - to find out where someone is located, just click on their username. If they've filled out their location (as I have) then it will show in their profile.

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gyrene - to find out where someone is located, just click on their username. If they've filled out their location (as I have) then it will show in their profile.
Thanks - didn't know that...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I've knocked so many toadfish over the head in my life I could fill a 55 gal drum with them . :lol: Watch your fingers ! We don't even put them in crab traps down here .. And they ALWAYS seem to swallow the hook ! :mad-new:

robert graham

Admiral
I've caught plenty of those Toadfish down on the gulf coast of Florida and always considered them totally worthless....no good even for bait!....and they do like to swallow the hook! A waste of time in my book!

Pusher

Lieutenant
That robin fish is pretty. The other one is what we westies call a bullhead if I'm not mistaken. They are usually in saltwater, but I've seen them in freshwater.

Do yours have Barb's in the back of their heads?

I've never eaten them and don't plan to start now. Kind of like seagull. I'll take other's word on that.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
No barbs that I can think of but it does have like a boney top of the gill plate ... Like I said before Watch your fingers they do bite ... Mean little critters !

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I am glad I don't have to deal with them where I live. Not what I find interesting to me. JMHO