Some advice for the FL keys fishing please.

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class
i live in Savannah, GA but have a trip planned in July to head down to Key Island, FL. I'm bring my boat (19.5' bay boat) down to fish. Someone said that I need flourocarbon line since the water is clear and regular line will spook the fish. They said yellowtail snapper is the main fish to catch there...? So I'm hoping I get lucky and a few people that are familiar with the fishing down there can chime in and give me some advice so I don't waste half my trip trying to figure out what works best. Thanks in advance!

firstcatch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You have never been to the Keys I suppose? Catching fish is not a challenge.... With a boat, suffice to say you will catch more than you can eat.
You can stick to the canals and catch mangrove snapper all day long if you want.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Depending on conditions fluorocarbon line may improve the bite, and since you aren't going to be going through much of it, just use it.

robert graham

Admiral
Might want to consider going out with a guide just once and I expect you'd learn a lot about the area, tackle, etc.....from then on you could go out yourself....

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a full week there and am going to spend a few days lobster diving so I will have time to experiment.