Need Advice for Tackle for Inshore Saltwater Fishing

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am looking for advice on rigging my fishing rod.

I am planning on fishing inshore from a 14 ft boat in Tampa Bay which is saltwater. I will probably be in waters ranging from 3ft to 20ft deep and within a mile from land. I have a fish finder.

My rod is a 7ft medium Ugly Stick with a Penn Fierce 4000. I have 25lb mono, 20lb braided and a 5ft flourocarbon leader. I currently have a 3/0 circle hook attached.

I rigged my line based on what I read on a local Tampa Bay fishing charter website.

Here is the link if anyone wants to see:
http://www.tampa-fishing-charter.com...d-rigging.html

It sounds like the guy on here is saying to only use split shots for weight or nothing at all maybe?? A number 2 to 4. He says that covers about 80 percent of flats and inshore Tampa Bay fishing.

I always thought sinkers were used.

The set up is basically a 3 to 4 ft leader with a #2 split shot about 2ft above hook with whitebait or shrimp.

Does that sound good enough to start?

Is this a bobber setup? The article never mentions one.

I'm trying to put together a small tackle box. Here is what I have thought to get so far:

1.) Small knife
2.) Needle nose pliers
3.) Nail Clippers
4.) Circle hooks
5.) Bobbers
6.) Split Shots
7.) Some type of fake bait if I don't have live bait on hand
8.) Extra line

Questions about tackle:
1.) What size range for circle hooks?
2.) Size range for split shots?
3.) Are swivels needed? What sizes?
4.) Are sinkers needed? What types?.egg, pyramid, bank? What sizes?
5.) Is snap on bobber okay? (Red/white ball type) Everyone seems to use ones you slide on that don't easily come on and off.
6.) Is a net needed?
7.) What should I get to just keep a few live shrimp or baitfish in? On a budget here. It's a small boat with no live well?

Thanks!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Fishing tackle tends to be region-specific. For example, in Long Island's south shore and ocean, chromed lead balls w/ hooks are very popular for fluke. On the Jersey shore (same fish, same bottom conditions), we use lead bank type sinkers, and leaders with feathered hooks. I am not sure the fish care one way or the other.

It probably makes sense to inquire locally, rather than nationally.

FWIW, I never use split shots in salt water, as they do not weigh enough. Bobbers are almost never used as well. Here for fluke/croaker/weakfish we normally use conventional baitcasting reels and boat rods. I like braided line, Penn Reels and Uglystick rods. Lures work best for bluefish and stripers, bait for the others.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a knocker rig and live shrimp for this time of year in the tampa area.

I use a trolling minnow bucket and a 5 gallon bucket to put it in. BTW, I catch more fish from shore than I do my boat. fish the entrances to channels on incomming tides.

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the advice! Do you think I will need a net to bring the fish onto the boat?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
depends on the fish. my last 2 times, no (biggest was 2#). then again, have had a few grouper on that snapped the line.

its always a good idea to have a net to retrieve your hat.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
As a competitive angler that fishes inshore and offshore, I keep enough tackle on-board to stock a tackle shop, times 2 or 3.

Having said that, unless I'm targeting bait fish with live bait or fish bites for live lining, nine times out of ten I'm fishing a BKD on a 3/4 -1 oz. jig head. A properly presented BKD will catch everything that swims in the ocean. I've caught everything from Croakers to Tuna on them.

I use a 7-0", #18-25, fast action blank and a 360 Penn slammer spooled with #12 Sufix performance braid. The biggest fish to date on the combo was pushing #60 so don't think you need to use heavy tackle to catch big fish, you don't.

The biggest problem people have with circle hooks is using too small a hook and trying to set the hook. Don't be afraid to use a large hook, they tend to stick better. If you think a 3 J hook is the right size, go to a 6 circle. I use 5/0-8/0 Circle hooks on a regular basis.

Last but not last, get yourself a gunnel mount bait board. They are worth their weight in gold.