Saltwater Fishing in Naples, FL - Novice needs help

Igyjastabay

Seaman
Summers are no different than the Ohio Valley. Its all hot and humid. To answer your question: Spanish Macks are excellent eating when they are 3 pounds and above. King Macks not so good. The best eating fish down here is pompano or permit. Kings are good only when they are smoked. Red Drum when your lucky. Remember to watch your size limits. Minimum $1000 fine for some species.

southkogs

Staff member
Tennessee summer kicks my fanny in the summer time. I've been down around Orlando and near over to the Destin and Grayton Beach areas during the summer ... a few hours and I'm up against the ropes :)

Copy "watch legal limits." I've got some more reading to do on FL fishing rules, but I am reading. We're going to be a lot of catch and release anyway with the kids on board, so "eatin' fish" will kinda' be God's grace.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Copy "watch legal limits." I've got some more reading to do on FL fishing rules, but I am reading. We're going to be a lot of catch and release anyway with the kids on board, so "eatin' fish" will kinda' be God's grace.

Hence the reading to pick up a "law stick" all the regs on a handy folding ruler

sasto

Captain
It's been a few days since any post,. Enjoy your trip, buddy. We can't be prepared for every trip inshore or offshore. Bring what'cha got and enjoy your vacation, Excitement will be there, weather you catch 'em or not, Enjoy the trip and the family..... remember the adventure. I'd wish you luck.....You already have that. memory.

southkogs

Staff member
You're a gentleman and a scholar, as always, Sasto:

We've been on the island for two days now. Self sustaining house, so electricity and WIFI are a little limited (more so by the 4 teenagers with us than the house :) ). And I created a couple of small "technical" problems for myself moving photos around quickly.

We've run the ICW a few times now from Naples to Marco Island - dolphin hunting for the little ones. The water is beautiful - kids are having a great time, and all is well. Been out on the beach several times watching the pelicans and what I think are either tarpon or snook running along shore (maybe 50-75' out). Been going too much for the moment to even get to fishing but I'm thinking it'll be surf fishing or a charter when we get to it.

Lots to tell, but may not get much time for typing until later. (I'm having too much fun ... ran outta' gas by 9PM last night, and I'm typically a night owl)

Thanks all - the advice from this topic was brilliant in getting me ready to be here.

southkogs

Staff member
A little follow up -

Here's the view toward the gulf from the upper deck of the house:
IMG_0747.JPG-2.jpeg

Heading out to the island from the parking site:
IMG_0749.JPG.jpeg

southkogs

Staff member
Navionics track from a ride into shore (been playin' with that app quite a bit):

Keeywaydin Trip.jpg

Haven't done any fishing yet, but we've got days to go. I may start a new topic over in "Destinations" and put more details in over there.

Got stuck making a run in the rain today coming back from Naples ... like a monsoon. That's kept the air cool at night though without making it impossible to swim during the day. The whole family is gathered and having a ball.