What to use trolling for trout?

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
I grew up on salt water fishing for Striped Bass mostly. I am now retired and have a small boat in the mountains of AZ. I currently bait fish with fair results but I would like to learn to troll for trout. I used to troll for stripers years ago.
I have purchased a new 14" boat and have it set up for trolling and it's ready to go.
I am just not sure what kind of lure of spinner is good for trout?
And suggestions?

eavega

Lieutenant
I used to live in Tucson and would spend weekends up in the white mountains trolling for trout in the stocked lakes up there (Reservation Lake and Big Lake come immediately to mind). The absolute, never-fail trolling rig was a set of cowbells, with about 12" of line and a small hook tipped with worm. Set your trolling motor at about 3-4 MPH, just until the tip of the rod is "ticking" every 2-3 seconds. You can actually tip the hook with anything, the cowbells is what gets their attention.

more_cowbell.png
Rgds

-E

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
TNX. Interesting. I will have to give that a try.
I read somewhere that they use worms or other baits behind the cowbells and was wondering if plastic worms or baits would work as well?

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
TNX. Interesting. I will have to give that a try.
I read somewhere that they use worms or other baits behind the cowbells and was wondering if plastic worms or baits would work as well?

Ayuh,.... Generally,... Real Meat works Better,....

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
OK and TNX. Worms locally are not found but in a couple of places and it's a pain to get them at times. But if they work they work. Maybe I will just start my own composter/worm garden?
I also picked up some AZ Peacock Lady flies which are supposed to work well here fished dry or wet.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Because every lake and region can be different, go to a local tackle shop and ask for details, they will have the best and most recent info. The regs can change frequently too, so make sure what you plan to do is legal on that lake.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class
I use a wedding ring, 3 feet of leader to the swivel, a egg sinker after the swivel. thread a worm on the book, troll slow enough to get the spinner to spin, and cruise...

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hatchery fish like power baits. Wild fish don't seem to care for it.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I posted this a few months back for another guy

A couple of things I do here in BC on our lakes and rivers this time of year.
They are spawning so use something roe like small bright red balls on a lure such as a wedding ring with a worm or cheese and yup corn.
If your deep trolling red flasher on a willow leaf, lots of flash.
And remember the lakes are about to turn as the bottom water is warmer than the top water in a lake, and this brings the fish up closer to the surface