rust in tackle box

k5ranger

Petty Officer 3rd Class
anyone have a sugestion how to stop rust from forming in my tackle box? the treble hooks on some of my crank baits are extremely rusted. i plan on doing a lot of salt water fishing this fall and know how damaging that can be.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: rust in tackle box

buy some thin cork board and put on bottom of<br />holding trays.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The only thing you can do is wash everything down with fresh water and let dry before putting it away. I've got a rack on the boat where everything gets hung to dry before storing.

snowshoe

Seaman

Put the lures and terminal tackle you use in a pail of fresh water in the boat till you get back to the dock and then put them into the tackle box. This seems to help alot :)

crab bait

Captain

spray on some 'water displacement 40th attempt' at storage... an as a plus,, fish beem known to LOVE IT..!!

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

venting the tackle box by drilling holes in each section to let air in to dry them works for me, but I am in freshwater. i guess if you rinsed yours as suggested here and then did this, it would work for you...

gaugeguy

Captain

Like others have posted, rinse all your gear in fresh water after having it in the salt. Toss a couple dessicant packs into your tackle box to remove the moisture. The dessicant can only absorb so much, so I change the packets about once every two weeks during the season.<br /><br />I've also read here that WD-40 is a fish attractant, so why not give the hooks a couple squirts after they are rinsed and dried??

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

AMEN TO THAT MY !!! :eek: <br /><br />As others have said before me freshwater wash and air dry...I've heard of the WD-40 thing working but don't do it seein' as I make enough mess with-out it <br /><br />**PLUS** It doesn't react with mono very well seeing it is a petroleum based product so use it cautiously around your reels and line.<br /><br />Good luck

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by crab bait:<br /> HEY GAUGE.. that's what i just said.. :) ..
I knew I read it somewhere, dang short-termed memory loss :D

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

**PLUS** It doesn't react with mono very well seeing it is a petroleum based product so use it cautiously around your reels and line.<br />
WD 40 has absolutely no effect on mono whatsoever. The only downside of WD on reels is that it will build up overtime and gum up the bearings and drag system.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

WD 40 has absolutely no effect on mono whatsoever.
On the contrary .. makes it brittle.<br /><br />Go soak down your spools and set 'em out in the sun for a few days ... then go fishin'.<br /><br />Just a hint - don't expect a $10 dollar dipsey, a $2 snubber and, a $6 bait to make it back to the boat tho. It only took me 4 rigs to figure it out (can't imagine those fish were too happy about draggin' that crap around :rolleyes: )... made for an expensive outing. <br /><br />Don't believe me??<br /><br /> http://www.missourifishingguide.com/lines.htm <br /><br />Just one example but, do a search on the topic and you'll open your eyes a bit. Citgo, a petroleum company, whom sponsors professional fisherman/tournaments internationally warns about it to anglers but its a pretty common fact.<br /><br />PWT Angler of the year, Bill Ortiz, had it happen to him by mishap a few years ago via WD-40 but, he was a bit more quick about it than I :D .<br /><br />Don't take my word for it .. check it out youreslf. :)