Is this ok for my rods?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I've cought 35# Chinook (King salmon) in front of my house on 6-12# spinning rods with 10# line, and 30# steelhead with the same stuff. My biggest Chinook is 61# on a 20# setup.

The only possible issue with the spinning rod the OP showed was that it may be too light for some types of fishing near where he lives. On the Colimbia River there are places where you need to use 16 oz of lead, so you need a heavy rod. It's not so much because of the fish, but because of the sinkers used. In other areas it will be fine.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Ok,try a 30 pound salmon on a 20 or 30 pound test line on a spinning reel and see if the beast does not spool your spinner reel,or if you set the drag too tight break your line and or rod
I have had 300 foot runs.

You don't need anywhere #30 tackle to catch #30 fish. Most surf fisherman use either #14 or #20 line and catch fish much larger.

Here is a friend of mine catching Stripers with light tackle spinning rods using #10 braided line.

No spinning rods where harmed in the production of this video.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6KINxwTmw0

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Rods have what is called a spine if you take your rod and bend it firmly then roll it all the way around you will notice a stiff spot that the rod is reluctant to turn past this is its spine. Baitcaster have there eyes on one side and spinning reels the oppostite side while having a rod on its side wont really have a huge impact and most likely a fish wont put that much stress on it for long I will throw the scenario that is hard on a rod and its guides when you snag something solid a log or rock and your rod is overloaded sideways until you get the drag released or the boat reversed. This is more stress than a fish will ever load most likely. The rod will suffer less than the guides but your also putting a huge amount of force at the pouint of guide contact in the opposite direction. If your rods over wieght for your line and drag I wouldnt worry. We fish 25 pound big game and fish for 40 plus pound kings a huge amount of force can be exerted for the moments we snag into something and I would not want it loaded on a rod turned flat on its side.

However non of this compares to a car door LOL So do what you want its all better than the dozens of rods Ive seen die in a car door.