Rough Shimano Stradic

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
My Shimano Stradic spinning reel is very smooth without a load on it. If I retrieve a fish or a heavy lure it feels rough. I took it apart, cleaned and lubed it according to Shimano's directions. The only thing I replaced was the anti reverse bearing. Any suggestions how to smooth this thing up? Oh, by the way, the line is 8# mono. Thanks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Are you sure it isn't the drag feeling rough. If the bearings feel smooth when you cleaned it, it could be the drag system as the rough problem. Check the surface areas on the drag disks... JMHO!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Do you think it could be the roller bearing on the bail?

Yes it very well could be. The only reason I didn't suggest that one was you stated that you cleaned them and it was smooth. But that easily could be the rough feel as well... Let us know what you do find out.

One other thing I just thought about is the rod's rod guides. If they are dirty or even grooved from use, that can cause a rough feel too...

Last edited:

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
It was smooth without any line on it so I thought maybe it could be the line roller.

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
I cleaned the roller assembly and it feels OK now. I'm going to take it out in the next couple of days and see how it does.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I cleaned the roller assembly and it feels OK now. I'm going to take it out in the next couple of days and see how it does.

Sounds like a plan. Come back here and let us know how it went. That way others will see and learn what fixed your reel...

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used the reel yesterday and it feels much better. Thanks for all your help.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I used the reel yesterday and it feels much better. Thanks for all your help.

Ha! That is great news, and now you and others will have something to check in similar situations. Hope you catch a lot of fish now... :thumb: :thumb:

san dimas

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks GM. I still might replace the bearing because apparently the Stradics have a inherent problem with this bearing going bad, plus I like to do these kinds of things:joyous: