GPS for trolling /wave points.

danstead

Cadet
I fish small lakes in western pa and kawartha's , have used hand held GPS for wave points, trolling tracks and speed. GPS Recently died and looking to upgrade with fish finder and GPS in 1 unit if possible. Or, is it better to have gps as seperate unit__any recommendation's? Mainly fish for walleye, small mouth, esox, perch.

Have 16' semi deep v with 18hp tiller

Thanks, MuskyD

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I'm a Lowrance fan for what it's worth,....

They are introducing new models this spring and the older stuff can be found on sale,.....

I like two units side by side for redundancy,.....

But in most situations a 7 or 8 inch split screen is fine,...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Unless you want to go all out, buy a combo with the largest screen you can afford and upgrade the transducer to an Airmar P-66. Best fishing "upgrade" on the water ;)

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Lots of those combo units out there, Mine's several years old Hummingbird 587hdci, gps/maps/offers way point marking.. prob about $400 now...

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
I prefer and run 2 separate units. I fish the Great Lakes and rely heavily upon my chartplotter to keep me where the active fish are and the tracks are super valuable getting me out and in the harbors in the dark hours or when the fog moves in. So for that I prefer a full screen and able to zoom in when needed to stay on the tracks but still view a larger area of the water. The fishfinder while also important I don't need that large of a screen area and use it more for just depth confirmation and a quick visual of where the fish and bait may be in the water column. If your space is limited a combo unit may be more practical but as said above get the biggest screen you can afford so when split screening you can see what you desire without having to get up close to the unit to see what it is displaying.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm going with an older Lowrance combo myself for my first locater/GPS unit. It puts everything in one simple location and there for only one need for power and such. Of course the fact that I was given the unit helped as well. But I would have gone to a combo anyway for the simplicity of having everything in one package and everything inter-working together as well. It covers, navigation, speed, water depth, fish finding, waypoints and even temperature all from one nice package. That IS convenience in my opinion. JMHO!

danstead

Cadet
Thanks Commander, care to share model # of your Lowrance?
Does this model use a tall 2-3 ft antenna for the GPS?

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Something to keep in mind with GPS units, at least those with external antenna (not sure about the internal antenna units) is they will draw power even when in the off position. Best to have them wired up to a panel switch or turn off your main battery switch if you have one. You will not be happy to get to the lake and find out your boat will not start because the battery is drained down. Check the owners manual to see if your unit draws power when off.