Replacing Downrigger cable

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I bought a pair of Cannon Uni-Troll 10 STX manual downriggers for X-mas. I plan on replacing the cable with #200 or #250 Power Pro. What is the best way to connect the braid to cable? Crimps?

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
dingbat.. I too replaced my cable with 200# braid. I just tied it using blood knot to the connection clips..worked fine, . make sure you get swivel bases for those riggers too....good luck

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
dingbat.. I too replaced my cable with 200# braid. I just tied it using blood knot to the connection clips..worked fine, . make sure you get swivel bases for those riggers too....good luck

Thanks..swivel bases came with the package. Picked up a pair of Yeck, #12 finned weights.

I've still not decided on release clips yet. People say you can't use braid with a pinch type clip but I've not had problems using Scotty Power Grip Plus Clips on my planer boards. I use #65 and #80 braid so maybe that's the difference. I have Blacks clips in my outriggers, maybe give them a try if the Scotty's don't work out.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Blacks, I use only those.... regular and stacker........Braid wont work on the Chamberlains, those are cable only. friction "pinch pads" work on anything, Blacks are best IMHO.. works on all of em,,,,,enjoy!

Last edited:

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Blacks, I use only those.... regular and stacker........Braid wont work on the Chamberlains, those are cable only. friction "pinch pads" work on anything, Blacks are best IMHO.. works on all of em,,,,,enjoy!

Why doesn't braid work on Chamberlains? I ask because I have Chamberlains on braid and have had zero issues.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The type of clip depends on how deep and fast you plan to fish. The clamp types work fine for slower or shallower trolling, as you go deeper and faster they may not hold though. I use Scotty clamps whenever possible because they are fast and easy to use, but going deeper may require something more like the chamberlains.

Or just run a top shot of mono and clamp onto that.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Why doesn't braid work on Chamberlains? I ask because I have Chamberlains on braid and have had zero issues.

I called Chamberlain myself,, he said it's not designed to work on cable, he does make a special release that does work on braid, you have to specify when ordering,, they are nice, they have no safety clips, if they slip off, down to the bottom of the drink they go..