How deep to lake trout get on the great lakes?

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just curious how deep fish can get on the great lakes. I am guessing the hotter it is/warmer the water temp the further down they go - but how far? Is there a range they are generally found?

I am looking at getting a depth/fish finder for next season to possibly troll for some lake trout on our lake - max depth is around 200ft. I see the transducers are rated for depths. I know there are some spots on the great lakes that are well over 1000ft. I doubt I can get any bottom scans there, but if fish aren't suspended too far down I may not need a mega transducer there either.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer
On lake Ontario, the Lakers don't wander like the Salmon do. The trick is to fish right on the bottom most of the time. Usually 80-150 FOW unless you want to freeze you butt off real early in the spring, when they're in much closer and more willing to chase a lure that's up in the water column.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
KC.. lake trout need to be in water that is between 48-52 degrees.. that is where they are happiest...not to say they wont be found elsewhere, that's the optimal water temp range.. depth ranges change with the seasons.. when the water warms up in summer and early fall, they are usually found as mentioned from 80-120 ft of water... at least in the NYS Finger Lakes, I suspect the great lakes are no different.. trick is to know WHERE.. in the lake to find em....find out where those spots are first,, if your going to buy a fish finder buy a decent one,, so you can see your lure while you are jigging...you will see the trout on the bottom, you will actually see the fish chase your lure,,if you have one moving towards it,, reel up and try to take it away from them,, they are aggressive and will strike...

Last edited:

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Lakers like it deep during the day,but at night when the bait goes up to the surface to feed,they will follow. in Lake Ontario I have caught them jigging at 250 feet in 39 degree water. Those are the big ones. If you get a fish finder you will usually see them hugging the bottom. In the Fingerlakes in NY they are overpopulated and you will find them more spread out through the water column, but they do prefer cold water.