lake trout fishing

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Ive watched lots of vids on the topic..guides report lots of action jigging...ive been trying to figure out how to catch em..no luck..jigging off bottom in Seneca Lake..arguably the best lake trout fishery in NYS....ive got a fish finder..i see em down there. Tips anyone? Rather than hire a guide...not gonna do that...frustrating..

rbh

Fleet Admiral
In summer the fish go deep as the water is cooler so trolling is best, later in fall there is a turn over of the water when the top layer becomes cooler than the bottom layer and they swap places, this brings the fish closer to the surface.

Depending on how deep you are going and how much light is found at those depths should indicate what kind of lure IE a long willow leaf plus bait to reflect all light and attract the fish or say a flat fish ETC if not so deep.

Do you have a down rigger or just a rod?

In fall when the fish are spawning try a wedding ring or anything with the orange/pink roe color.
Remember trolling gets the deeper fish and casting gets you the shallower fish.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Have downrigger rod 9 feet..have 6.6 ft med heavy ugly stik for jigging. Have Okuma Cold Water 303..line counter reel...i just got that...looking forward to verticle jigging from my boat..have hummingbird587cihd... best way to get lakers in nys fingerlakes is jigging from boat..now with line counter i can get jig to target depth..

rolmops

Vice Admiral
In Lake Ontario,the lakers are plentiful and way bigger than they are in Seneca Lake. Last year a 34 pounder was pulled off the bottom.
Because there are so many other species like chinook salmon and Coho salmon,steelhead and brown trout to name a few, we do not fish for lakers unless the other fish don't bite.Then we bring the cowbells out and it's hard not to catch a few. Some Lake Ontario fishermen call them slimers