Is September a good time for a Lake Michigan charter from SE WI?

bobbo268

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took a charter last year around July and was kind of crappy, only caught 3 fish in 4 hours... My in-laws are coming up mid september and I'm wondering if this would be a good time to do a Lake Michigan fishing charter from the SE WI shores. I think it was trout or whatever else is "deep water" out there (not too familiar) but if anyone is familiar with this lake and area, please let me know if mid-september would be a good time with lots of fish to catch. I know it depends on the captain and such, but any input would be great.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
September can be iffy, weather wise. A couple weeks can make a big difference-late vs. early September.

On the other hand, the weather can be quite glorious!

As far as seasons and availability, I would check with a couple of charter outfits and get their ideas as to what types of fish they would target.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
If Michigan is anything like Ontario, Sept means Salmon are coming in ready to run..... or perhaps there are no Salmon in Michigan..........never fished there

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Salmon will be staging and in the rivers at this time of year, so the steelhead will be there eating Salmon eggs too. I would be calling your favorite charter boats to get the daily results on the targeted species. Some will go after Salmon, others steelhead, and even others may go after Lake trout, You can even get perch boats in Southern Lake Michigan if you want great table fare. Depends where you will be, it's a very large lake right?

Took a charter last year around July and was kind of crappy, only caught 3 fish in 4 hours... My in-laws are coming up mid september and I'm wondering if this would be a good time to do a Lake Michigan fishing charter from the SE WI shores. I think it was trout or whatever else is "deep water" out there (not too familiar) but if anyone is familiar with this lake and area, please let me know if mid-september would be a good time with lots of fish to catch. I know it depends on the captain and such, but any input would be great.

There are some nice charters running out of Green Bay and as far as sept goes - simply depends on the weather.
Jim