Nelson Lake in Hayward Wisconsin

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Heading out this coming Friday for some R&R in the land of 15000 lakes, beer, and cheese. We will be at the Mother-in-Law's boyfriends house on Nelson Lake in Hayward.

Anyone fishing there lately? are the Walleye biting?

limited on what I can bring for tackle, will have a few rapalas and a few mepps spinners, however most likely will be using a jig head with minnow or a 3-hook snell for night crawlers. Also limited on the rods, only bringing two. Most of the fishing will be done from shore or the dock on the North West corner of the lake, however will have access to the canoe. The pontoon boat is not a fishing rig, and I would feel bad getting that dirty.

Topography shows rock and rubble at the dock.

Goal is to catch at least 2 meals of walleye, and at least one of pan fish.

Any suggestions welcome

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You'll be in my neck of the woods. Never fished that lake and can't give you a current status. I would use crawlers right now. Last I heard, that's what they were biting on. But, you know how that goes....... With crawlers you could pick up bass too..... Have a great time! Doing a long weekend or week?

Namekagon out Cable is a good walleye lake....

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks WIMUSKY

going to be up there for 9 days.

my thought is almost everything hits on crawlers. thats why I use a 3-hook snell - some hit the middle, some either end.

Lake is limited on Bass. Bag limit is 0 for small mouth and 5 for large mouth. Musky and Northern are 1 each, 3 for Walleye, and 10 for pan fish. Bringing my step-son up and hoping to have my sister and nephew join us.

going to use corn kernels for pan fish. a trick my grandfather gave me. toss a handfull of corn kernels overboard. wait 5 minutes, then start with jig hooks and a kernel. usually can limit out in a few minutes.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
27 hours in the car on the way up. The 5 of us were glad to get out of the car. We arrived at the lake later Saturday the 26th. after eating a bit of food off the grill, running thru the shower, managed to get a few card games in prior to falling asleep.

Woke Sunday morning and headed to town for bait and a WI fishing license.

Spent most of the time fishing from the pontoon in the mornings after breakfast or evenings just after supper. Being the dog days of summer, the fish were fat due to the abundance of insects and were few and far between. local bait guy said the cold front that came through wasnt helping either.

Most of the fish were caught from the dock. would have caught more, however the area around the dock is really weedy and there is a huge algae bloom. None were caught while on the boat. should have had the boat out about 20' past the dock vs trying to out think them:facepalm:

Nephew caught a nice sized largemouth on his pole when he wasnt really paying attention. the 3-hook snells worked great, however the bottom hook was too deep down the gullet to remove, so I cut the hook, and we let him go to get bigger after snapping a pic with the phone

I on the other hand caught my share of bullheads and a small sunfish from the dock. No photos so I am hoping that they dont count.

Step son caught a small crappie about twice the size of his minnow he was fishing with.

spent 27 hours in the car on the way back yesterday. did manage to meet up with my best friend as well as my mother, sister, nephew and grand mother in Green Bay for a bit of lunch. Back side will take a week of standing to get the feeling back.

Last week I was listening to loons on the lake every day. Now I am back to work listening to lunatics every day.

Born to fish.....Forced to work.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Even tho you didn't catch much for fish, hopefully you took in a bunch of fresh air and still enjoyed yourself. First time up here? What did you think about the area? "About" where do you live since location isn't showing up for anyone....?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Always enjoy myself on vacation, whether it is in a tropical setting, a desert setting, or the north woods. I used to live in Manitowoc Wisconsin, now in Bradenton Florida. Not the first time in Hayward, its been about 10 years since I was last in Hayward, about 35 years since I was last on Nelson Lake with my dad and the old Mirro Craft.

Used to go fishing and camping on weekends all over with my dad and brother growing up. spent a lot of time in my youth in Eagle River, on Turtle Flambeau Flowage and the Menomonee River near Pembine with the occasional trip to Ishpeming and Negaunee in da UP. Most of my adulthood was Door County and East Central WI

I love the north woods and the peace it brings, especially while canoeing and kayaking in the early morning. I also love the gulf of mexico and the sunsets. Goal for retirement is a place in the North Woods for summer and a place down here in Florida for Winter

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
At least you had fun,........

I live about an hour from Hayward and have never fished there,.......

I spend most of my time on the water on Green Bay,....Love the big water and the big Eyes that can be caught,............

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I love the north woods and the peace it brings, especially while canoeing and kayaking in the early morning. I also love the gulf of mexico and the sunsets. Goal for retirement is a place in the North Woods for summer and a place down here in Florida for Winter

We like the Gulf too. Usually we go to Orange Beach AL, but that's in Oct. I hear it can get pretty cool down there in the heart of winter. North summer, south winter, best of both worlds......:)

At least you had fun,........

I live about an hour from Hayward and have never fished there,.......

I spend most of my time on the water on Green Bay,....Love the big water and the big Eyes that can be caught,............

Never been on the Chip Flowage? A lot of it feels like you're in Canada, minus the rocks. Not much for cabins/resorts scattered about. They're pretty concentrated in certain areas........ That's why I like to go to that lake, at least in this area..... You see trees instead of buildings......

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
To many lakes close to Rice Lake if I want to fish local,...............

I have some friends with a cabin in Canada I can use anytime I want, Don't go there anymore either,..

I've been fishing the Bay a bunch since 05',...............

bassman284

Commander
My friends and I will be hitting Turtle Flambeau in a couple of weeks. Always a good time.