Big fish lake

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
We fished a lake that has bigger fish in it for a change. The surface temperature was in the low eighties according to the Humminbird so we fished the open water behind an island. I caught one small bass on a spinnerbait and then I caught a blue catfish on a chatterbait that would weigh around 15 pounds it took me so long to see this cat that I thought maybe it was going to be one of those 45# muskies that they catch out of this lake. Later we went up an arm where there was cover-tree snags etc. I threw a popper and hooked a bass that I fought for quite awhile before he straightened a tang on a treble hook and slowly swam away right at the side of the boat. I am going to change the treble hooks on some of my lures to the extra strong ones like the pros use.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Must have been some very cheap hooks.....I've never bent a hook on a bait and our "bass" push #40-50 on occasions.

Changing out treble hooks for singles is a win/win situation. It's better for the fish and much easier on your hands.

bassman284

Commander
Seems to me some crankbaits and poppers are made with fairly soft hooks. A few years ago I hooked a 6 1/2 pound wiper on a Rebel Pop-R. I was able to land it but the hooks were bent all over the place. A couple broke off when i tried to straighten them so I'm guessing some kind of stainless steel. Any more i replace them with Eagle Claws before fishing.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Actually my friend,stripers really are bass,and what we commonly call bass,eg:lmb and smb are not bass at all but members of the sunfish family..But you knew that anyway .

Last edited: