tackle cleaning

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Well it looks like I'll be off work for awhile and I've got about 2 dozen rods n reels that need to be cleaned and respooled anyone wish to come help? May take awhile as I find it hard to sit for more than 15-20 minutes at a time.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: tackle cleaning

OMG, I know what you are saying. I take so much time cleaning those reels that it takes more time then it should for me. I have to take every little piece apart to feel it is clean correctly too...a curse indeed...especially since I add more rods and reels yearly and can't let go of older ones! :facepalm: I use mineral spirits for my cleaning and quality reel oils and grease for reassembly. What are you using?

Oh I forgot, I then place all the cleaned reel in zip-lock bags even if they are on a rod to help keep them clean... Just a thought!

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Pretty much the same here only I don't put them in baggies.

What ya usin on cork handles?

gm280

Supreme Mariner

The same stuff but it does evaporate within a short period of time... I just wipe them down and use a Q-tip to clean the eyes on the rod. If there is some really serious buildup on the rod eyes, I'll switch to Lacquer Thinner to clean them with a Q-tip and then follow that up with silicone wipe on the eyelets. Helps with casting for sure. One other thing I learned how to do that really does help. About every other outing, I tie off the reel fish line to some post in my yard and walk out unreel all the line to the end and then rewind it back on the reels using a rage soaked in silicone spray to both remove the crap on the line and apply some lubricant. It really helps release the coiling effect and makes them cast so much further and smoother too... Try it out.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Saturday, we trolled 21 rods, in saltwater, for a tournament. Took less than an 1/2 hour to spray with Salt-Away, rinse, dry and put them back in the racks. The secret is to always clean your equipment at the end of the day no matter how "busy" you may be.

If you worry about dust, your not using them often enough...lol

Reel Cleaner, Internal:
Simple Green or Purple Power
White vinegar and baking soda if any components are "green"

Reel lubes:
3:1 oil (Red)
Rocket Fuel (yellow)
Cal's Drag Grease
Super Lube (Synthetic Grease)

Protectorates:
Collinite 845 insulator wax - Rods
WD-40 - Reels

To clean cork, I typically chuck them in the lathe and hit with Scotch-Brite then apply a coat of U-40 Cork sealer. Denatured alcohol on a soft cloth will work but don't let it soak in. It will eat the glue out of the cork.

Lines:
Power Pro = #65-#80 - Trolling
Sufix Tritanium = #14 -#20 - Casting
Sufix Superior = #25 - #60 - Leaders
Sufix Performance braid - #10-#14 - Spinning

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I know but it's just to darn hard to cast into those little holes in the Wisconsin ice!
Next, your going to tell us you've not had the boat in the water in 6 months.....lol

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

No, had the boat in the water just the other day. That's how and when I hurt my back!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

thanks dingbat. Just on my out thr door to PT for the 3rd visit.

BTW, I have a brother up by you. he's off the Magathy River. Hope I spelled that right. anyways he's got a Pasadena Md. address.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

when I fish in salt water here, I hose off with salt away, rinse, hose off with 409 or simple green and let the sun dry them

on a few occasions where I would be headed off somewhere and in a hurry, I simply tossed them into the pool for a few minutes, then let the sun dry them.

lost a few reels and a bit of tackle the first time not rinsing the salt off. just put the rods away.

regarding casting into holes in the ice, a small jig rod and you should be able to cast into a 6" hole with just a flick of the wrist. any more movement than that and you will spill your beer.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

regarding casting into holes in the ice, a small jig rod and you should be able to cast into a 6" hole with just a flick of the wrist. any more movement than that and you will spill your beer.

Now explain how to do that with a 7' casting rod n reel! Suppose I could just skid the jig along the ice until it falls in.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

with a 7' pole, you need to be on Winnebago when they cut 3' x 5' holes in the ice for sturgeon. as I said, a small jig rod for the 6" hole.

however since its already ice-out, you shouldnt have to worry...... LOL

have a great weekend Bonz

Falmund

Cadet

Now explain how to do that with a 7' casting rod n reel! Suppose I could just skid the jig along the ice until it falls in.

I actually saw a guy ice fishing this winter with a 7' rod....i guess it'll work if the tip is sensitive enough. but seriously, you can get a cheap ice rig for $20 at Walmart!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

just what I need, 4 more rigs because everyone knows ya can't buy just 1

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had three reels at they were used in salt water and on the beach on The Outer Banks last week. ( We left the morning of Hurricane Arthur )
Sand and salt water got in them. As soon as I got home I soaked them in the sink in warm water with, spools, side covers off in dawn dish liquid as I would use for doing the dishes. Rinsed them out, patted dry and let them out on the porch in the sun for a little while to dry out any more moisture. I had a tube of 2-4-C grease that I had been using on outdrive parts and applied that to any gears I could get to. They seem quite happy now. My poles just got a rinse off but I plan to use some barsso and armor all on them.
My tackle was washed in dish water too, rinsed and lay on a paper towel o the counter til it dried. No way am I going to put gear away with salt water dried on it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I had three reels at they were used in salt water and on the beach on The Outer Banks last week. ( We left the morning of Hurricane Arthur ) Sand and salt water got in them. As soon as I got home I soaked them in the sink in warm water with, spools, side covers off in dawn dish liquid as I would use for doing the dishes. Rinsed them out, patted dry and let them out on the porch in the sun for a little while to dry out any more moisture. I had a tube of 2-4-C grease that I had been using on outdrive parts and applied that to any gears I could get to. They seem quite happy now. My poles just got a rinse off but I plan to use some barsso and armor all on them. My tackle was washed in dish water too, rinsed and lay on a paper towel o the counter til it dried. No way am I going to put gear away with salt water dried on it.
Soaking reels and using brasso and armoral on rods is tackle abuse. If I caught one of my customers treating their tackle like that they would get a good talking too.....lol A freshwater rinse immediately after each use eliminates the need to do much of everything.

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am not one of your customers and I can clean my rods and reels and hooks however I like.

NicoPags

Petty Officer 1st Class
The same stuff but it does evaporate within a short period of time... I just wipe them down and use a Q-tip to clean the eyes on the rod. If there is some really serious buildup on the rod eyes, I'll switch to Lacquer Thinner to clean them with a Q-tip and then follow that up with silicone wipe on the eyelets. Helps with casting for sure. One other thing I learned how to do that really does help. About every other outing, I tie off the reel fish line to some post in my yard and walk out unreel all the line to the end and then rewind it back on the reels using a rage soaked in silicone spray to both remove the crap on the line and apply some lubricant. It really helps release the coiling effect and makes them cast so much further and smoother too... Try it out.

Great Tip, works wonderfully. The coiling effect is something I cant stand.