swivel vs knot

fannettx

Cadet
I like fishing Toledo Bend, do you prefer a swivel or a tied knot with a top water, spinnerbait?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: swivel vs knot

Uni-knot

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

For floating topwater baits I use a slip loop knot that used to be illustrated in the Rapala pamphlets. For eveything else I use the Trilene knot. Accept with superlines.

fannettx

Cadet

Thx for the replies, I'm only familiar with the improved clinch. I'll stick with it, good luck

bassman284

Commander

For floating topwater baits I use a slip loop knot that used to be illustrated in the Rapala pamphlets. For eveything else I use the Trilene knot. Accept with superlines.

Yah, the Rapala knot is pretty much essential with the old original floating minnow. I was looking through some knots the other day and found that at some point since I learned it they made a little improvement - three turns around the standing line instead of one.

Rapala knot

I'll have to try that out this spring. Lots of other knots on that website.

JB mentioned the Uni knot which is fairly similar to the improved clinch. I find the improved clinch a little easier, probably because I've been tying it for about 40 years. I'm an old dog and I resist new tricks.

fannettx

Cadet

Yah, the Rapala knot is pretty much essential with the old original floating minnow. I was looking through some knots the other day and found that at some point since I learned it they made a little improvement - three turns around the standing line instead of one.

Rapala knot

I'll have to try that out this spring. Lots of other knots on that website.

JB mentioned the Uni knot which is fairly similar to the improved clinch. I find the improved clinch a little easier, probably because I've been tying it for about 40 years. I'm an old dog and I resist new tricks.

Thx for the illustration

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

That one is still different than the one I learned 20+ years ago.

But when you're sitting around on a cold winters night go to youtube and search "Knot Wars". Hours of fun video and very informative.

bassman284

Commander

I don't tie them very often and it seems to me the last few times I tried, something wasn't going quite right so I've probably forgotten how I originally tied it. Except for the one turn.

I used to watch Knot Wars quite a bit when it was on TV on a regular basis. Great stuff. Going to have to go back and review.

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The tactical angler power clips look intreesing, so I ordered a bag of the smaller ones. old jim

I like www.animated knots.com

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The tactical angler power clips look intreesing, so I ordered a bag of the smaller ones. old jim
Regular snap swivels are useless in my line of fishing. I can't count the number of times I've seen a big fish lost at the back of the boat when a swivel pulled open.

Coastlocs snaps hold up well, but ball bearing coastlocs is not cheap and they are bulky. The Breakaway Fast link has the strength and the durability at a responsible price.

Bifflefan

Commander

I must be the only one that uses the Trilene knot.
I never have trouble with it, and its easy to tie.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Those of you who use swivels or tactical angler power clips; what knot do you use to attach them to your line?:)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Those of you who use swivels or tactical angler power clips; what knot do you use to attach them to your line?:)
A 6 turn unit-knot with large diameter (#20 and greater) mono. A 10 turn uni-knot with smaller mono and braid.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

For swivels, can't beat the simple palomar knot. Can tie it blindfolded & with numb fingers. (Even a caveman can do it...)

Tom B.
(LongLine)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

For swivels, can't beat the simple palomar knot. Can tie it blindfolded & with numb fingers. (Even a caveman can do it...)
The palamar is marginal at best in a large percent of the products on the market.

Knot strength in mono ranges from 43 to 108% depending on the brand of line. In braid, knot strenghts range from mid-40s to mid-70%
Palamar users need to know what products tie well and which don't

Last edited:

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

I admit I don't know much about braid but the Palomar holds very well for salmon in Lake Ontario with 8-20 Lb mono, co-poly's & fluoro's. I've never had a knot break on me.

Tom B.
(LongLine)