Good Boat Setup for downriggers?

riley0412

Cadet
I have a 1959 16ft Alumacraft Deep V that I am setting up for trolling with 2 Manual Downriggers. I am planning on mounting the downriggers directly on top of the gunnels at the stern. I am thinking of building a storage box in the center of the boat to hold 3-6 gal gas tanks. About 20" wide by 36" long and would mount in front of the outboard and run towards the bow. This would leave full access all the way to the transom on both sides for fishing. Anyone done this before? If so, any pics or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Paul

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Good Boat Setup for downriggers?

It will make very it difficult to move around in the boat and fish, just like an I/O, which is why I/O's aren't that popular in fishing boats. Small boats don't have much room to start with, so you're taking away valuable space.

Try mounting your DRs up front further, 3 to 4' from the transom, this can make them much easier to use.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

it will make very it difficult to move around in the boat and fish, just like an i/o, which is why i/o's aren't that popular in fishing boats. Small boats don't have much room to start with, so you're taking away valuable space.

Try mounting your drs up front further, 3 to 4' from the transom, this can make them much easier to use.

^^^^^this^^^^^

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

Consider mounting a removable board about a foot in front of where you're planning on mounting the rigger's. Swivel or angle the rigger's out at least 45 deg. This will help your spread and give you a little more "foot space." (At least 12" of the tank area will be under the board) You also may want to consider some kind of solid hinged cover over the tanks. On I/O's, it referred to as a "dog house" and comes in handy as a table or seat as long as it's solid.

Tom B.
(LongLine)