need ideas for making a garage rod holder

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
hey y'all, has anyone made their own rod holder to place in their garage? If so can you tell me what your idea was and how it worked out? Need some tips or good ideas, pics would be great too. Also how they are mounted..

Last edited:

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: need ideas for making a garage rod holder

hey y'all, has anyone made their own rod holder to place their garage door there rides? If so can you tell me what your idea was and how it worked out? Need some tips or good ideas.

Whats that??? :/

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Long cardboard tubes,or pvc tube. Attach to where you want them,slip rods in.
Grub

MRS

Commander

hey y'all, has anyone made their own rod holder to place their garage door there .

Uh you want your garage door on a rod holder? Better have a big holder and a big boat....

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lol, damn speech to text feature. Should've double checked it before I hit submit. Lol

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

My personal favorite is to use those rubber coated hooks screwed into the rafter so they hang above the boat and even door when it is opened,............As long as you can reach them from the boat your golden,...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

1x4 with 1.5" diameter holes for the butts. Rubber coated j-hooks for the front

Javelin JD

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I added a 2X4 to the rafters and layed out my rods there between the joists. There up high and out of the way, but then again. I don't have a garage, I have a shed instead.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

So far these seem like pretty good ideas. Anybody have any pics of their set up. I don't have open rafters so it's a no go on that one. My garage is all dry wall all the way around, not even a single nail hole in her yet.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

How many rods? Floor, wall or ceiling mount?

I made a heavy duty version of this for my trolling rods. Helps immensely when swapping rods out of the boat for the seasons

images

Ceiling mount for 10-13' surf rods
attachment.php

I use a couple of these in the rod shop. You can't make them for what you can buy them
images

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Holy crap ding bat.. That's some decent looking wood work. That's a good idea.. Ummm and I have about 6-7 rods currently, but I think I still may buy a few more. They range from 5-9 feet and vary between spin cast and conventional reels. Also, I'm not a very tall guy, standing at a whopping 5'5 I would rather go with a floor / wall mount and stay away from the ceiling mounts.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Holy crap ding bat.. That's some decent looking wood work. That's a good idea.. Ummm and I have about 6-7 rods currently, but I think I still may buy a few more.

Always plan for more. Between surf, trolling and light tackle I probably have 30-35 rods that I use on a regular basis. Probably another 20-25 more"junkers" out in the garage that don't get used.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I guess I'm on my way then. I just started fishing again approx 2 years ago. I'm 30 now, last time I had the bug, was when I was 12 years old. So 7 rods in almost two years. Maybe I'll have an outstanding number of rods like you in a few more years...

But yes, I will definitely plan ahead and prepare to build something with the idea of purchasing more rods in the future

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I use pegboard mounted on the wall with a u-shaped hook at each end. The hang horizontal.

Looking at Dingbats picture above that style could be modified for a wall mount. Make the tip section cut out circles large enough to slide the rod with guides through and a simple dip at the bottom. Think of a wall mounted pool cue rack.

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

The one Dingbat is used is what I used on the wall and it works great. But I add a piece off hard rubber to the top (or rod tip area) I stapled it to the fornt over the opening. So if the rods get bumped they don't fall out. The rubber is like they have on walmart racks.

I sarted out using something like this.rod holder.jpg. But got tried of buying a new set very time I got some new rods. So I made the wood one. I made out of 1"X2"X8' wood.

You could try somthing like this too wall rod.jpg.

Or try mounting them side was like this side.jpg.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

That second pic looks awesome. How was that one made?

AChotrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Easiest way is buy a few boat rod holders like in the first pic above in 2 eagles post, unless you want something fancy. I just use the bike hooks.

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

That second pic looks awesome. How was that one made?
It was made with 1"X8"X8' and 2- 1"X6"X8' boards. Take one one off the 1"X6" and layout your spacing. then use a 3/4" circle cutter and cut out the hole where layed out. these is your top board. Nail it togthere with the 1"X8"X8' as the back and the other 1"X6" board on bottom. Stain or paint and screw thw back board to your studs. If you want you can put some half circles on the bottom board to hold the butt end of your rods.

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I never thought of storing my fishing tackle in the garage, I hope the little woman won't think about that.:eek: