How many rods are legal?

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How many rods are legal?

Indiana is 3 poles with no more than 2 hooks per rod. My home state of Arizona is 1 unless you purchase a 2 pole stamp. Check the regulations frequently, as this could save you some money & greif.

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like I said earlier, in CA it's two max and only if you have the second rod stamp. However, these DFG folks are watching and the rule also say's the rods must be closely attended. That really leaves a lot of room for interpretation and it isn't going to be your reasoning that wins. The other thing they do is watch close on what you keep. Let's say the limit is two. If you have one in the box and two rods out and simultaneously catch two more you could be in trouble. They got a guy at a 2 fish limit lake for this when he had one in the box and caught two more at the same time. He brought in the first fish and kept it then brought the second one in and it was a bad bleeder that couldn't be revived. He now had three fish and got busted for being over the limit. DFG was on a hill above the lake watching. He was just the average guy on the lake, not someone that had been known for over bagging it.

Please note that the second rod stamp (In Calf.) is only for fresh water fishing. When you start talking about salt water it gets pretty complicated, different rules for different species.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

New York does not have a limit on the # of rods even though we refer to the law as the "3-rod rule". The limit is on the number of lines each angler can use and the number of hook points each line can have. Through this Dec 31st each angler is allowed 3 lines with a total of 15hook points per line AND the angler must be in immediate attendance of his lines. (a treble hook has 3 hook points)

Tom B.
(LongLine)

stevecur

Petty Officer 3rd Class

New York does not have a limit on the # of rods even though we refer to the law as the "3-rod rule". The limit is on the number of lines each angler can use and the number of hook points each line can have. Through this Dec 31st each angler is allowed 3 lines with a total of 15hook points per line AND the angler must be in immediate attendance of his lines. (a treble hook has 3 hook points)

Tom B.
(LongLine)

Are you saying that it is not leagal to use a crank bait or plug that has two or more treeble hooks on it?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Are you saying that it is not leagal to use a crank bait or plug that has two or more treeble hooks on it?

15 hook points per line = 5 treble hooks per line which is more than enough for most crankbaits.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Well here in Georgia, unless you are fishing for trout, there is no limit. But honestly, I could put a hundred rods out and the best lure going and somehow the fish will serpentine between all my setups to fine the only one that my fishing friends/family members have out to bite...

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

No, that lure with two treble hooks on it has 6 points under NYS law. A crankbait that has 3 trebles on it has 9 points therefore you cannot put two of those 3 treble lures on the same line. Total points on a line cannot exceed 15 points.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

jwalterus

Cadet

2 rods in ND, (4 ice fishing)

No pole may have more than two lures.
A lure may not contain more than three hooks and the maximum distance between any hooks on a lure may not exceed 10 inches. A single hook may not include more than three points, barbed or otherwise. Plastics without hooks are not considered a lure.
umbrella_lures.png

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow. All these different regulations are about as clear as a small business tax form!
Here in Washington, we keep a copy of the regs on the boat since it changes from freshwater to saltwater and species etc. Buying a "two pole endorsement" in only good in certain areas. Our fishing regs are quickly approaching a large city phone book in size and you better know every minute detail for the area you are fishing. I've gone so far as calling WDFW (Wash Dept of Fish and Game) about interpretations of various regs. Some are "up to the discretion of the enforcing officer". Really? Thanks for that clear guidance!
<sigh> It's not going to get easier, either. I feel bad for the young fishermen out there. I probably fished for 30 years before I even had to buy a license.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You need to read this thread from the start and realize how far the government is up your butt.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

*Whine*
You need to read this thread from the start and realize how far the government is up your butt.
*Whine*

Lets just do away with all local, state, and federal regulations and we'll all go out and catch as many as we want... there'll still be plenty for later eh?!:facepalm:

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Arguing on the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded ...

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class

*Whine**Whine*

Lets just do away with all local, state, and federal regulations and we'll all go out and catch as many as we want... there'll still be plenty for later eh?!:facepalm:

Nobody suggested that anyone do away with all laws.