Plano 7771 Guide Tackle Box - Fresh Water Fishing Use

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer
I wanted to be out fishin yesterday but knew I had to do something about my tackle bag. I had a WFO bag that was litterally spilling over with tackle and all the essential stuff we never need until we need it. Bizzare way to phrase that but if you think about it, it's the only way to say it.

I went down to OPS yesterday and picked up the only thing they had that I thought was going to work for me. That was a Plano 7771 Guide Box, ($99.99 +tax). I spent the afternoon sorting tackle, getting rid of junk (hardest part) and putting everything where I would expect to find it and in the end, I don't like the new box.

The latches on the boxes started falling off and despite making sure they were properly seated they continued to fall off in my hand. The hinges on the boxes started popping loose and then I noticed that the front cover, when fully opened barely allowed enough room to pull out the lower box. You certainly wouldn't manage it with gloves on.

It's not disasterous and I'll keep it but I'm reloading it as a base camp box that I'll just use as a replenishment store for my pocket/vest boxes. I won't go as far as to say I'll never put it in my boat but with the way it's constructed I'd probably end up filling my bilge with spilt tackle.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Plano 7771 Guide Tackle Box - Fresh Water Fishing Use

I gave up on "tackle boxes" long ago in favor of "tackle bags". The problem I have is finding one that is big enough to hold everything. My current bag holds 8-3700 boxes and has outside pockets all the way around. Fortunately, it has a shoulder strap as well because its weigh almost #60

Jlawsen

I gave up on "tackle boxes" long ago in favor of "tackle bags". The problem I have is finding one that is big enough to hold everything. My current bag holds 8-3700 boxes and has outside pockets all the way around. Fortunately, it has a shoulder strap as well because its weigh almost #60

Ahmen ! My WFO is a 4 drawer bag with great pockets and even a collapsable cup holder on top. I couldn't find one locally yesterday. There were a lot of Shimano Back pack styles and a few weak attempts to copy the style of my WFO but nothing that compared. I had a different vision of what the 7771 was when it was in the store. Your Open Water is nice with the 6 drawers. They've got one out now with rollers on it and an extendable hard handle. No cup holder so it's a no go for me.... LOL.. (not serious).

These are pics of the new version 4 drawer WFO but if you take the dividers out up top you can get two more boxes in it.
offshore7closeup.jpgoffshore2closeup.jpg

ngt

I have an older Adventurer: Flambeau 1999 6 tray double sided box that works great for what it is....a stay at home tackle holder. When I go out I either toss the lures I want in a smaller case and put them in a backpack or use a small tackle bag. I saw Jlawsen's bag out on his boat, and that was really nice.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

No drawers for me. Top access only. That way there is a chance that everything might still be in the bag when we get to our next destination. Takes up a lot less space as well.

s7_121302_007_01

Jlawsen

I like the idea of taking just what you need for the fish you're going after. That's something I've got to try to train myself to do. As it stands, I always end up taking way to much stuff and I think that's mainly because I change my mind too often. I've looked into my bag and said "Humm, I wonder if that will work" and changed my luck instantly. It may never work again but it did that day and if I didn't have that option ... well you get the idea.

ngt

I like the idea of taking just what you need for the fish you're going after. That's something I've got to try to train myself to do. As it stands, I always end up taking way to much stuff and I think that's mainly because I change my mind too often. I've looked into my bag and said "Humm, I wonder if that will work" and changed my luck instantly. It may never work again but it did that day and if I didn't have that option ... well you get the idea.

I think the more I learn about fishing, the more I'll be able to think about what would work in different situations and in different combinations, which will lead to me wanting to take more stuff on outings. Right now I just figure what I want to try that day, what has worked where I'm going, and bring it out. I'll admit though, I've been in new places and after seeing the surroundings, noticed I didn't have the gear best suited for that fishing environment.

Jlawsen

I hear ya NGT. I guess if I was to listen to my own advice I'd take what I thought was going to work and throw in a box of mini-night crawlers. I've proven time and time again that on any given day, a 1/2 night crawler will catch just about anything I'm after.

ngt

I hear ya NGT. I guess if I was to listen to my own advice I'd take what I thought was going to work and throw in a box of mini-night crawlers. I've proven time and time again that on any given day, a 1/2 night crawler will catch just about anything I'm after.

They do seem to do the trick. Got my worm threader the day after we went out, although I haven't used it yet. Not sure what you're doing next weekend, but I have Saturday morning free. Have to be home around 4pm in RP though. Wife's friends are coming over.

Jlawsen

It on my calendar we'll leave my house around 5:00am. I'm not sure what the Bass are doing right now but I do know what the Steelies are doing. If you get a chance stop by OPS and get a 1" Silver Apex. It'll say Kokanee Killer on the label. Just get one, it's a hunch of mine. If in doubt ask Josh he'll know what I'm talking about.

Now that I know for sure where they are, we should be able to troll faster and deeper and pick up the bigger fish with the Apex's.

Oh, by the way, this weather we're having with the barometer all over the map will turn the fishing. It's an indication that winter is on it's way. We still have our Indian Summer comming but I think it's going to be right on schedule this year and show up around the first week of September.

ngt

sounds good. I'll grab one of those next week. Still waiting on that whip finisher, so I'll most likely be in there Tuesday after work so I can talk with Josh.