• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trolling reel with a lever drag and line counter

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling reel with a lever drag and line counter

My Uncle stopped by the house the other day and we started to talk fishing. In our discussion he mentioned that he saw a fisherman fishing in Georgian Bay using a trolling reel that had a line counter with a lever drag.

I looked all over for this type of reel but can only find the reels that have lever drags or with a line counter not both together.

Has anyone else seen a reel with this combination?
    2011 Lowe FS185
    125 Mercury Optimax

Re: Trolling reel with a lever drag and line counter

You can always buy the line counter and add it to the rod to run your line thur. works good. If you did find the combo you are looking for will be big bucks but I am sure somebody makes one.

Comment

Originally posted by Deeppowder View Post
      My Uncle stopped by the house the other day and we started to talk fishing. In our discussion he mentioned that he saw a fisherman fishing in Georgian Bay using a trolling reel that had a line counter with a lever drag.

I looked all over for this type of reel but can only find the reels that have lever drags or with a line counter not both together.

Has anyone else seen a reel with this combination?
      Ayuh,.... I had a couple of ole Diawas that fell apart on me,...

I've since gone to Okumas,...
      They're decent reels, 'n are pretty Cheap...
      Btw,... The lever is the clutch, 'n they use a star drag adjuster...

Now-a-days, 'bout all the fishin' I do is trollin',...
      So, line counters are a Must, for repeatability...
      Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

The Daiwa Saltist is the only lever drag, line counter reel that I know of

http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=506

Originally posted by Bond-o View Post
        Now-a-days, 'bout all the fishin' I do is trollin',...
        So, line counters are a Must, for repeatability...
        We count "bars" (travel of the levelwind) and the repeatabilty is within inches with 300 feet of line behind the boat.
        Grady White 226
        200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
        Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
        Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
        ICOM M504A VHF
        Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

Thanks I found one that was digital and it was $3500. Must be gold plated. I like the Okuma reels also. I was just curious if anyone had seen reels with that combination.
          2011 Lowe FS185
          125 Mercury Optimax

Comment

Working...
          X