Cast Net - Need help choosing size.

95Bayliner

Seaman
Looking back at last year, I spent alot of money on bait. I usually buy around 1-2 dozen medium size shiners and a dozen or so minnows each trip. I try to hit the lake at least twice a week and that really adds up. Thinking ahead... I figure it's probably worth investing in a casting net. I primarily fish the lakes in Nashville (Percy Priest and Old Hickory) for hybrid bass, large/small mouth bass, and catfish. I've even caught an alligator gar off a shiner. Shiners have proven to be successful, I don't know that I've caught anything using minnows. I've been really looking forward to start crappie fishing this year and I've heard minnows are the choice of bait.

I've been looking online for a decent casting net and could use some help/testimony from y'all in picking out the right net. Here's the guide that I've found on many sites.

BAIT SIZE MESH SIZE
1" - 3" ?"SQ
3" - 6" 3/8" SQ
6" - 9" ? " SQ
9" - 12" 5/8" SQ

I *think* I need to start off with either a 4' or 5' radius monofilament net with 1lb per foot weight, in either a 1/4" or 3/8" mesh size. I've read the 3/8" mesh size is the most versatile but wouldn't a 1/4" do about the same or better???

I'd like to hear some stories from anyone that has experience with 1/4" or 3/8" mesh size. I wanna catch bait fish (minnows, shiners, threadfin shad) large enough entice larger fish such as hybrids but also small enough for crappie. If no one net can do both, I guess I could purchase minnows - - they are ALOT cheaper than the shiners!

Looking forward to advice and recommendations. Thanks all!!

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: Cast Net - Need help choosing size.

I only use live bait or atleast fresh caught. the stuff in the store is just chum imo. The larger the diameter of the hole, the quiker it will sink along with the more weight the better. Again,just my opinion. I would not get a net smaller than '5 ft radius. If you are casting behind docks or in smaller areas then maybe get a smaller one.

Yoou will find that throwing a larger net is just as easy as throwing a small one once you learn how. Look up casting nets on youtube. There are great videos there to teach you how to use it. Good luck.

95Bayliner

Seaman

I only use live bait or atleast fresh caught. the stuff in the store is just chum imo. The larger the diameter of the hole, the quiker it will sink along with the more weight the better. Again,just my opinion. I would not get a net smaller than '5 ft radius. If you are casting behind docks or in smaller areas then maybe get a smaller one.

Yoou will find that throwing a larger net is just as easy as throwing a small one once you learn how. Look up casting nets on youtube. There are great videos there to teach you how to use it. Good luck.

I know what you mean about store bought bait. It really depends on where you go here but some store bought bait seem like they die as soon as they hit the water. I usually dump some lake water into the bucket to help with the shock. I was leaning towards the 5' radius and imagine I'll be throwing off my boat for the most part.

What kind of bait fish do you usually catch and with what size mesh?

chriscraft254

Commander

I know what you mean about store bought bait. It really depends on where you go here but some store bought bait seem like they die as soon as they hit the water. I usually dump some lake water into the bucket to help with the shock. I was leaning towards the 5' radius and imagine I'll be throwing off my boat for the most part.

What kind of bait fish do you usually catch and with what size mesh?

I mainly fish for larger fish, hybrids,stripers, bass etc. I have a couple different sizes. 5ft 3/8 and a larger one for shad. Don't remember the size of the shad net, but its a 12 foot radius.

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the 5' radius is a good starting place. That is what I started with. 3/8 mesh, once you get proficient, you will probably want a 2nd net a little bigger. Also make sure you scour your local rules & regs. on capturing & keeping bait fish. Have personaly found the 1# per ft. adequite.;)

giericd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMO 6' net, 1/4"mesh 1lb pre foot. the reason i say that is i've been throwing cast nets for about 30 years and have found that for the beginner any thing larger than 6' is hard for them to learn on and any thing smaller than 5' is also hard because it is easy to over power the small net. you almost have to change your form to throw small nets. 3/8" does sink faster than 1/4" how ever if you are casting in shallow water say 6' or less it shouldn't matter much. I like a do every thing net and would rather have 1 on the boat (or invest in 1) instead of 2. 3"4" baits in a 3/8" net no prob but if the larger baits are hard to find or the bass are not bighting you might want to change the game plan and go for pan fish, you are not going to get panfish bait in a 3/8" net but you can catch larger baits in the 1/4". i also prefer the 1/4" because you will find once you have a net full they simply slide out of the net in to the livewell. 3/8" a lot of the smaller baits will be gilled and end up dead. In saltwater in S.Florida i catch 1'-1 1/2' long mullet on the flats in a 8' 1/4" and in 20' deep water catch 50-200 3"-4" baits in a single cast. plus i can catch shrimp on the flats as well.

95Bayliner

Seaman

IMO 6' net, 1/4"mesh 1lb pre foot. the reason i say that is i've been throwing cast nets for about 30 years and have found that for the beginner any thing larger than 6' is hard for them to learn on and any thing smaller than 5' is also hard because it is easy to over power the small net. you almost have to change your form to throw small nets. 3/8" does sink faster than 1/4" how ever if you are casting in shallow water say 6' or less it shouldn't matter much. I like a do every thing net and would rather have 1 on the boat (or invest in 1) instead of 2. 3"4" baits in a 3/8" net no prob but if the larger baits are hard to find or the bass are not bighting you might want to change the game plan and go for pan fish, you are not going to get panfish bait in a 3/8" net but you can catch larger baits in the 1/4". i also prefer the 1/4" because you will find once you have a net full they simply slide out of the net in to the livewell. 3/8" a lot of the smaller baits will be gilled and end up dead. In saltwater in S.Florida i catch 1'-1 1/2' long mullet on the flats in a 8' 1/4" and in 20' deep water catch 50-200 3"-4" baits in a single cast. plus i can catch shrimp on the flats as well.

Your response is most helpful - very thorough and makes the most sense for my needs. Thank you! I'll probably go with a 5' or 6', 1/4" mesh (because of the versatility to catch pan fish bait when the bass aren't hitting), with 1lb per foot weights.

You stated that you catch 1' - 1.5' mullets in a 1/4" meshed net. Did I read that correctly or is that a typo? If it's the former then I'd have to say that's pretty amazing!