New Melones Lake (Kalifornistan) August 4,5 + trying my new Raymarine S1000 outopilot

CoachPotato

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After installing a new Raymarine autopilot on my C-Dory, I was anxious to head for New Melones Lake (in the Kalifornistan Gold Country foothills) for some kokanee fishing. I read the report from Glory Hole Store near the lake that trout fishing was slow and kokanee was fair to slow. As a fair to slow fisherman, that sounded like a pretty good match.

I trolled the lake from about 1330 to 1800 for zilch, then headed to Angels Cove to anchor for the night. It was a splendid anchorage there among the moored houseboats, and I dropped a line baited for trout over each side of the boat, and added an underwater light after sundown, and waited. It was a long wait and I never got a bite the whole night long. Sure enough, fishing was slow.

I was trolling a bit before 0600 on the morning of Day 2, at first rigged for trout at about 5 to 50 feet, and a bit later reeled in and rigged for kokanee. I trolled a purple hoochy with a purple dodger at 80', and a green dodger and wedding ring at about 70'. It continued to be a slow morning 'til I reached the bay that leads to the dam, where I was to meet the single dumbest fish in the lake - not unusual for me. I have often settled for the single dumbest one, but if I had to do so this trip, at least it would be the one I would have chosen.

I had just passed the yellow buoy, approaching the dam, when finally a line popped loose at 80' (the purple hoochie) and I had a kokanee on! I reeled in a gorgeous male 16 inches long and weighed 1? Lbs. He was beginning a hooked jaw and had just a hint of pink color along his body. I believe he was the biggest kokanee I've ever caught - and he made the whole trip worthwhile!

I continued trolling for another hour or so, then reeled in and headed for the ramp around 0900. While I was delighted with my catch, I didn't want to spend another hot day on the water for such slow fishing. And having read all the good kokanee fishermen's reports of limits so easily, I am humbled to admit all this effort for one fish - but they do call me FishWisher!

I saw perhaps a dozen other fellas fishing over the two days I was there, so most guys have read the report of slow fishing and fished elsewhere, I guess. But for me, that one kokanee gave me a memorable trip!

Lots of photos and more story on my homepage at: http://tinyurl.com/3n2wdvd (Mods: Just my photos and stories, nothing for sale, no forums, no advertising.)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New Melones Lake (Kalifornistan) August 4,5 + trying my new Raymarine S1000 outop

Great story, well written, Coach. :)

As an editor, though, I think I would ask you to not begin 4 out of 5 paragraphs with "I".

Just a picked nit. :) It is a pleasure to read well constructed, spelled, punctuated and capitalized tales.

Looking forward to more.

CoachPotato

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: New Melones Lake (Kalifornistan) August 4,5 + trying my new Raymarine S1000 outop

hmmmm. And so I did. Thanks for pointing that out. But c'mon, I'm retired! I haven't had to pay attention for almost 10 years and have forgotten how! But thanks, if I can remember to check for that on my next posts, I will. But I fear I've lost my memory, too!

(dang... I used "I" eight more times.)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Also retired, CP. 14 years. I keep sharp (or something simulating sharp :) ) by doing this and by writing tales for the iboats Review. It is an excellent way to continue to feel useful and valued.

axeman1988

Seaman

hey coachpotato i fish new melones too thats awsome you caught a koke that is beginging to change for spawn. i was just there sat on the 6th, wasn't the best day,(motor issues) but i was able to catch one nice 20 inch rainbow right out of the gloryhole launch trolling lead line 8 colors out, that was about it for the trolling, motor didn't want to idle. then later i was bass fishing in a cove on the north side of the lake and caught 3 i think there are punkinseed panfish, didn't look like a bluegill, and later was trolling near rose island(faster than normal dang motor) about 25 to 30feet down, cause i was being dumb because my depth finder wasn't working, i caught i nice 13 inch bass, weird right he was my dumby fish for the day after that i called it quits, too hot to be out after 12.