Custom lake map software

zaph1

Cadet
Does anyone know of software for making your own lake maps? I know my finder has GPS and I can mark waypoints, but I would like to be able to boat around and have it build a map for me. There are two reasons for this. Our private ponds have never been mapped, except for the ones we made by marking about 30 points and guessing what was between. Second, the available maps of nearby lakes are 20-30 years old and some of the 12' deep spots are now 2' deep.

Hopefully someone from humminbird will read this and add the function to futures models. It wouldn't take that much programming.

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Custom lake map software

Mapcreate 7.0 is what I use with my Lowrance HDS-8. The usb drivers for the LEI reader are unreliable on Windows 7 but if you have an old XP sp2 (not sp3) machine around they work great. You still have to cruise around the lake and take waypoints and then connect the dots so I don't know that it's going to do you much good. If the lake is small enough you can get a surplus weather ballon, send a camera up and do aerials. They work really well.

zaph1

Cadet

So far we have used Google maps for the aerials and just mark points on the map with a pencil. I know my finder can show me everywhere I've been. It can't be tough to add mapping and depth, then export the map.

zaph1

Cadet

Exactly! That does exactly what I want! Thanks much.