• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rod/Reel Suggestions

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod/Reel Suggestions

Looking for recommended Rod/Reel combos?? I am new to trolling and will be doing so in local lakes, (Camanche, Amador, etc) for trout in California. I am willing to spend a little money but don;t want to break the bank. Also, what is best to set it up with? Braided line to lead core then to mono for a leader? I will not be using a down rigger at this time. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks, Jason.

Re: Rod/Reel Suggestions

Ayuh,... I fell in Love with linear rods 10 years ago...
    I buy 'em from Cabela's, in the 7' models...
    Add a line counter reel, 'n you can always put yer baits back to Exactly where they were workin'...
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

I'm a daiwa fan. I like the hartland rods and accudepth line counter reels. I use 7'6" medium light rods and 47lc reels. I find the ML rods give for when the fish tries to run so you do not pull the hook out and loose the fish as often. But you loose sensativity. But your not jiging with these rods either.
      J Bisson

1991 Bayliner Trophy 2002 W/A

Past Projects
      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=521563http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=443915
      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=457212

Past Boats
      1971 Starcraft Chieftan 21
      1981 Lund Utility
      1961 Evinrude Tri-Hull

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!

Comment

I'm also a Diawa reel fan. I own 8 of the line counter models that are under $100 each. I also run the Shakespeare ugly stick's - they are tough and work great for inland trolling (I think they are called "Catfish" rods). Get yourself a couple of yellow planner boards, some Dipsey Divers, some lead core for at least one real (though I find it very difficult to manage, as I use my gear for walleye too). I use all 30# Fireline, it keeps my depths consistent with 12# mono and is really tough. Those are the very basics and should get you started without breaking the bank.
          1999 Bayliner 2655 Ciera 5.7L BIII
          1996 Skeeter DV1850 Mariner 175HP Mariner 9.9HP
          1975 Lund Aluminum Mercury 25HP
          sigpic

Comment

Okuma Convector are a staple for us Great Lakes guys. 30LC and 45LC should take care of up to 10 colors of 27lb lead core. Braid backing is the easiest to manage, but I splice in a piece of 20-30 lb mono between lead and backing for attaching planer boards (we usually run 2-4 boards per side). 20 lb test Pline fluoroclear is the leader I personally use and I attach it to the leadcore with a Willis Knot- same for the mono splice to leadcore on the other end. Mono to braid gets uni to uni knots, be sure to wet the knots and leave them a tad loose till you join the knots together for the final cinching. http://www.chitown-angler.com/1tackl...ts/willisk.pdf http://www.netknots.com/html/double_uni_knot.html

Comment

Something to consider....the lead core line is very big in diameter and the resistance through the water keeps it from going as deep as it could. I troll for Northern Pike with Buck Perry Spoon Plugs and I use stainless wire with mono on the last 5' with a steel leader. The wire wont tend to ride higher because it's much smaller in dia...gets deeper without having to use down riggers and planner boards.

Attached Files
              Mark

Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish? ~ Author Unknown

sigpic

Comment

27lb test lead core will dive to roughly 5' per color (color= 30') with a standard size spoon. Do some research for Torpedo Divers, this might help your application to get down deep with precision.

Comment

Originally posted by ChampionShip View Post
                  27lb test lead core will dive to roughly 5' per color (color= 30') with a standard size spoon. Do some research for Torpedo Divers, this might help your application to get down deep with precision.
                  In my experience, it takes less stainless line out to get to the same depth because it's so much smaller in diameter. You definatley have to watch your backlash though.....it kinks easy...you have to be careful with it. The lead core is easier to load on the reel....stainless can be a pain to load. my .02
                  Mark

Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish? ~ Author Unknown

sigpic

Comment

Leadcore and stainless are different animals.Part of the reason why I use both and in addition 7 stranded copper wire is the different depths in which they are effective.Most fish will flee from a boat and it is important to be able to fish far away from the boat while at the same time being in the strike depth.300 feet of lead core behind the boat will give a different depth range than copper or stainless.If you are using side riggers you can have your line 150 feet off to the side and then you can easily adjust depth range by using a longer or shorter length while still being at a safe distance from the lure.
                    Make sure the plug is in

Comment

I'm new here, but I've been trolling or a while and my advice would be to use your money for the downrigger. I tried divers and lead core when I first started, then, once, I fished someone elses boat and discovered DRs. They are superior, IMO, to weighted line.

With that DR you could just use any spinning rod until you can get an ugly stick or something, with a trolling reel. A "regular" reel will work fine, it's just hard on the drag discs.

Comment

Working...
                      X