Anyone ever fish Schroon/Paradox Lake in NY Adirondacks?

Expidia

Commander
Looking to go there tomorrow.

I see there is a boat ramp on the Eastern end of the lake on my Navionics map.

Any motor size limitations?

Any Trout in the lake (not the lake trout variety).

Any regular trout in Schroon lake?

red yankee

Recruit
Re: Anyone ever fish Schroon/Paradox Lake in NY Adirondacks?

Yes there are trout in schroon /no i do not believe ther eis a motor size limit beatiful but avg size lake have fun should be a gorgeous day

red yankee

Recruit

I know of boat ramp on north end just beyond state police barracks easy access good people

Expidia

Commander

Thx. On Schroon there is a nice launch right in the town. And another one at the South end.

It is Paradox Lake that we are actually heading to. But figured if there was no boat access we'd go to Scroon or Brant lakes.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Thx. On Schroon there is a nice launch right in the town. And another one at the South end. It is Paradox Lake that we are actually heading to. But figured if there was no boat access we'd go to Scroon or Brant lakes.

My nephew is a counselor at WOL camp- stories go that there are some salmon and rainbows- know nothing of lake trout there other than there are supposed to be some. Just drove by there last week on my way back from Oneida... was tempted to stop but had to be back for a biz commitment :(

BTW Love driving through Paradox- I go through prob 5 or six times a year!

Expidia

Commander

My nephew is a counselor at WOL camp- stories go that there are some salmon and rainbows- know nothing of lake trout there other than there are supposed to be some. Just drove by there last week on my way back from Oneida... was tempted to stop but had to be back for a biz commitment :(

BTW Love driving through Paradox- I go through prob 5 or six times a year!

Ya, I too would pass by Paradox and Eagle lakes from Route 87 on 74 over to the Ticonderoga boat launches. I usually launch out on Champlain or the one on Lake George.

Been passing those two lakes for years and say each time that I know my daughter who is a Trout fisherman would love these two lakes. They really are pristine.

Saw a lot of fish but no bites since we fished during 11-3pm and the water was 83 and it was 90 degrees and sunny all day.

I know there is a big WOL Word of Life religious Island that they ferry people back and forth on Schroon Lake. Found out it's stocked with Trout but only in the North and South streams. Has Lake Trout too. It's a deep lake in some spots. Has 3 ramps 1 north and 2 on the south end.

Didn't know there was a WOL on Paradox Lake.

The Northern ramp on Schroon is real nice. Double ramp and many free docks to hang out on. A block walk to the town for lunch or dinner . . . try the "fried chicken" at Pitkins restaurant next time you're driving on route 87.

They stock trout in Paradox.

There is a decent boat launch for 6 or $8 in the NYS campsite on the left heading East about a mile or so from route 87.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

....I know there is a big WOL Word of Life religious Island that they ferry people back and forth on Schroon Lake. Found out it's stocked with Trout but only in the North and South streams. Has Lake Trout too. It's a deep lake in some spots. Has 3 ramps 1 north and 2 on the south end....Didn't know there was a WOL on Paradox Lake

The Religious Island, LOL - that's the one. Not on Paradox, though

.....They stock trout in Paradox.

But if they stock feeders with Rainbows, they *will* migrate to the lake, especially if the steelhead gene is present. I should fish Schroon some day. With all my free time LOL

Expidia

Commander

The Religious Island, LOL - that's the one. Not on Paradox, though

But if they stock feeders with Rainbows, they *will* migrate to the lake, especially if the steelhead gene is present. I should fish Schroon some day. With all my free time LOL

Yes you are correct on the trout coming in from the feeder streams. The guy who I got some tips from that I met in a deli that morning when we stopped by to bring lunch with us he said he's grown up fishing these various lakes I asked about. He said they catch rainbows while ice fishing so he knows they tend to migrate into the big part of Schroon.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
I see that this is an old post but I have questions about Paradox Lake as I'll be staying there soon.

I'm debating on taking my 16' Sylvan with a 50 hp, but the last time I went to a different lake in the Adirondaks there was so much traffic that it beat the snot out of my hull paint while docked. I had 4 six inch fenders between my boat and the dock but the traffic still slammed it into the dock. The owner has a 14' aluminum for me to use and I can take my 40# Minkota, but I'm wondering if I'll regret not taking my Sylvan. The other issue is whether it's worth me dragging my boat 9 hours to get there when they have a boat for my use. Is there a lot of traffic on that lake? Is the bass fishing good?

Expidia

Commander
Old thread but it has almost 5,000 views!

Hot Rod: Did you ever get up to paradox lake last year? The only lake in the adirondacks that has the traffic you describe is Lake George. Most of the other lakes are pretty quiet. Except Schroon. I find that lake similar to Lake George . . . very busy in the summer with plenty of boaters who are obnoxious, many are probably drunk and clueless to the rules of boating. Good lakes to avoid in the busy months Summer.

Maybe you hit a day where there was a bass tournament going on. I've had that happen, but even though it might be 100 boats launching and retrieving I find those guys pretty respectful of the boats around them.

Its amazing to watch how 100 bass boats are launched in like 15 minutes!

and sorry I never responded to your private message that I just saw today from back last July about Paradox and Schroon Lakes.

Last edited: