Dumb Question on Daiwa Trolling Reel

Skook

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased two Daiwa Accudepth Plus line counter trolling reels (model ADP47LC). I've never used trolling reels before, but I have been reading about the advantages of the "clicker" to know when a fish is paying out line. I've seen descriptions of this reel mention this clicker feature.

My (dumb) question is, why don't my reels seem to make any clicking noise? They make some noise when I wind the line onto the spool but not when line is being taken from the spool.

I seem to have a spool control knob, a lever that is either on/off for freespool, and a star drag. The spool control knob adjusts the freespool tension, the lever opens or closes the spool, and we all know what the drag does. What am I missing? I can't seem to generate a clicking sound on either reel when line is taken off.

Also, the Daiwa website mentions an "Automatic Clutch Engagement". Can someone explain this feature?

P.S.
The reels did not come with any instruction manual.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Dumb Question on Daiwa Trolling Reel

The accudepth 47s are really a bit too small for leadline,the 57s are a better bet.
As for clickers,some spinning reels have them and some don't.Most closed bails do have clickers.
The main reason for clickers on trolling reels is that you do not have the rod in your hand,where you would normally have a spinning rod in your hands while fishing so you really do not need a warning that you have a fish.

Bondo

Staff member

What am I missing? I can't seem to generate a clicking sound on either reel when line is taken off.

Ayuh,... The clicker button is on the Otherside of the reel from the controls mentioned...

Auto-clutch engagement means if the clutch is disengaged when you start cranking the handle, The clutch automaticly locks up on the drag, turning the reel..

Skook

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I called Daiwa after I posted, and they explained where the clicker button is located. I hadn't noticed it on the left side of the reel sideplate. I tried to delete this post afterward, but I couldn't find the "delete" button in the edit feature. Maybe it's hiding with the clicker button.:rolleyes:

I was able to fit 7 colors of 18 lb. lead core plus 110 yds. of Berkley Vanish 10 lb. on as backing. I'm fishing mostly for brown trout in small eastern PA lakes, and so I think the 47's should be okay. No 50 lb. salmon or lakers 150 ft. deep or anything like that.