cheap downriggers

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: cheap downriggers

Go to Craigslist and choose NY as a state.Then go to Rochester and check the boating and sporting listings.There usually are a few cheap ones.Today there are 2 sets of electric downriggers for $100 a piece or $350 for all four.
If you buy all 4 you can probably sell two for $300 and you end up with a set for $50.

ebry710

Ensign

Any one know of a decent downrigger for around $150. thanks

If you can pick up those electrics that would be a deal. They easily sell on eBay for $300 a piece.

I bought mine on eBay. Big Jon manual 48" for $100 a piece.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Any one know of a decent downrigger for around $150. thanks

Yes, but you can do better if patient.

Do you need an electric? Or is a manual ok? I bought my Big Jon manual for $18 on eBay, a really long 4-foot Walker on eBay for $38, and a Luhr-Jensen on craigslist for $20. Keep looking- right place+ right time = good deal

My buddy just yesterday got a "Buy It Now" deal of two Big Jon Captain's Pack Tournament models for $420 for the pair. He's wicked happy, but it took about three months of looking.

vanshee

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I dont need an electric and i was wondering what brands I should look for.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Thanks for the info. I dont need an electric and i was wondering what brands I should look for.

If I was going to just go out and buy one I would buy a Big Jon. They look ok, the prices is right, and they seem rugged. I will use what I have because the price was right, but I will probably wait and seek out Big Jon electrics for the permanent fixtures in the bigger boat I hope to start in the spring.

I don't know if Luhr-Jensen still makes their downrigger, but I like some of the features even though it has a lot of plastic parts. But it is light, reasonably compact, and works well. And it was cheap :)

I HATE the "Easy Troll" models with the horizontal reels and miniature booms.

How big is your boat?

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I'm a Scotty fan. I have the little lake troller for a small boat and two electrics for my 18'

I've used their bigger manual one in the past and like them as well. I think I had a 1085.

I fish a lot by myself so I am glad I stepped up to electrics. Means I can play the fish while getting the downrigger ball out of the way. I could not do that with the manual. Plus I've been fishing down 120ft with a 13lb weight on Lake Okanagan and that makes for a long wind up with a manual.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Its the one in my sig.:D

Ok- I saw that boat but for whatever reason assumed you were fishing from a different boat :redface:

That boat has space for most of the downriggers out there. Little aluminum boats tend to be hard to mount a "regular" downrigger to. And they can be very bulky in a smaller boat.

This is nearly identical to the one I have:
5733_1_bl.JPG
but mine is older, has a "Sears" decal on the base, but has Big Jon name and logo cast into the aluminum reel, bracket, and pulley.

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cannon is hard to beat at a low cost point.

Scotty strong arm 1085s are a well built manual downrigger too.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I bought the Big Jon Silver 48".

I could want those on the bigger boat I hope to start in the spring. I like that model a lot. Of course I might not start the project if business doesn't pick up. Been a slow season.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I have Penn down riggers and will not change them for anything else.

vanshee

Cadet

sorry havnt been on for a while. Ive decided to just use dipsy divers for now and just save up some cash and get a new one in a couple months. thanks for all the info

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

OK- well good luck. If you do change your mind, you can usually find something good for $20-$30 if you are patient and take your time.

Either way enjoy your fishing. :)