Older Penn Reel: 209 vs 309???

bobo1

Seaman Apprentice
Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? I'm referring to the 20 year old models. Thanks...Bob

bobo1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Older Penn Reel: 209 vs 309???

Bro. Dingbat...Thanks! That's the info I was looking for. It's good to have a place for parts as well....Bob

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

I remember them reels, as the 209 was the reel to use in the group I used
to fish with. Fresh water trolling was the name of the game.

The 309 was about the same in functionality, but a bigger size, so for
fresh water use, it made sense to use the 209. A couple guys used the 309,
and they didn't suffer any, though.

Occasionally, some originals are available on ebay.

bobo1

Seaman Apprentice

Bro. Mickjetblue...I've been watching them on Ebay. I've got a 209 that I've had for quite awhile. I got back into boating this summer and have been doing trolling with leaded line on nearby Calif. lakes. I live in Reno, NV. Since I posted my original question, I've zeroed in on the 210 model: ball bearings and a 4:1 ratio.
There's several 210's up for bid right now but the close is a few days off. That Ebay is a strange monkey. People get downright serious with their bidding. Just recently a "new-in-box" older 209 went for $60! Over the past few weeks, I've bid and won 3 older Japanese Penn look-alikes. They weren't all that expensive. Two of them needed repair while their ads stated "in excellent condition". One has to be careful. I emailed the seller of one of them back and complained. The seller refunded my money, apologized, and said "keep it". Happy fishing...Bob

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

209 or 309 ?they are the same pretty much,both would be great for fresh water trolling.The 309 will hold more line but in the California lakes you will not need that.Saltwater you would.